Breakable objects

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Breakable objects

Post by Gambit37 »

Just a thought, how about adding this possibility? Items such as flasks could break when thrown against a wall, or maybe a chest could fall apart when dropped down a pit, scattering it's contents?

It would force the player to be a bit more careful about what they throw around!
Ian Clark
Um Master

Re: Breakable objects

Post by Ian Clark »

Yeah, like in EOB where lock picks break if you try too hard to pick a lock. <p><font face=arial>Ian

Pulp - Styling the pattern for life!</font></p>
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Flasks and potions

Post by beowuuf »

If flasks were made breakable,then how about another addition - having an 'empty' (and also throw) option available as an action when in a characters hand. If more potion spells are developed, then there could be more 'weapon' potions, like perhaps acid like damaging potions, ice stroms in a bottle, etc.

I like the idea of having more bombs that you can get rid off if you change you mind, though maybe at the price of emptying a potion affects that square. So you can get rid of a Ven bomb but better be careful and run fast afterwards, and ful bombs only gotten rid of in low-flask emergencies!
Plus, have a reverse of this - full party beneficial potions can be stored for when needed, or create a lighter effect than drinking it. A magic shield emptied creates a less poewerful party shield, etc.

It might make for more tactical decisions, deciding to less powerful versions of the spell so you can concentrate spellcasting in other areas.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

bottle xx

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, there should be the posibility to empt contents of a flask for sure.. however what you pour out should not have to be dangerous.

there could be a cost in mana to 'contain' the spell after release.. or perhaps you could empty it onto the square ahead.. making it a powerfull *close* range weapon.

A ful bomb would be like acid and the ven bomb would be like the poison ball. this way you could reuse the flask if need be.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Breakable objects

Post by beowuuf »

I don't like the thought of there not being consequences for hastily using up your flasks on offensive spells. Otherwise you could just run around loaded up with offensive spells all the time, and damn strategy and preperation. I like the DM strategy in this, create a bomb, lose a flask, and if FUL bombs are available in CSB then flasks are also scarce (?), so balance maintained. I was just suggesting upping the flexibility, so to balanace this there would have to be more consequences - change your mind, take the damage. Think of the shift in game balance if you could 'store' up to 2-5 times the amount of mana you normally have available in offensive spells, AND also then be able to do this again as much as you want. Areas of monsters that were before challenging can become simply something to blitz through. Just my thought. I don't say don't have the next square emptying potion spells, but they should a) only be usable in this way, and b) less effective than a fireball/ful bomb, etc.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

cowsmanaut
Moo Master

well....

Post by cowsmanaut »

How about this.. the firecracker theory.. If you hold it (a firecracker) in an open hand you get little less than a sting and a tingling.. if you close your fist however you're gonna need to be wearing finger splints for a few months.. that is if your fingers are still there.

So by this I mean that if used while in the bottle you get full effect.. however if you empty it not only do you have to get right beside the critter to do anything but it also only does 1/4 - 1/3 the damage.

this way it's not a worthwhile practice to do this since you could spend less mana and do more damage with a regular spell. The only advantage this gives you really is that you can carry them around for emergencies.Plus you can still use them as normal but you obviously lose the flask..
beowuuf
Archmastiff

i'd go with that!

Post by beowuuf »

Especially as the potion version will cost the extra mana too, no doubt. I still think that maybe the ven potion could empty onto the same quare - it could cover retreat quite easily like that.

And everyone else seems a bit quiet on this one too...ah well..: )

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

*bumping an old suggestion *
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

seems like a 'converts to' effect, such as happens with rusters just now
<damage>, <% chance>, <x> coverts to <y>
clone existing objects and activate this usually null property, nominating the new item you have created
So create a broken flask from a zokathra or somehting useless
create a breakable_flask form a flask that converts on ...whatever damge
Or spoilt food and spoilable food, that switch when poison damage occurs
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

I thought of poisoned/spoiled food, but how do you make food poison with RTC ? Maybe add this as a switch for cloned food. Also a delay for a convert food to spoiled food property would be nice.
Don't be scene or herd!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Or Bombs (Ful/Ven) exploding when I fireball explodes on their tile...
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

Of course, great idea. :D
Don't be scene or herd!
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Hmm. A broken bottle could then have an attack option too, probably.

Regards, PitD
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

It seems to be a weapon of choice in a pub brawl. Why not in a dungeon.
Regards,

Andy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*looks at sword* *looks at bottle* *makes morpork dagger and runs at startled dragon*
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

CSBuild already has an item value called "broken" but makes no use of it as far as I know at the moment. If it has exactly the same meaning/function as "breakable" would have to be discussed/verified.

Regards, PitD
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yes, there seems to be flags for both poised and broken on certain item types as well as cursing
not coded...though as you say the hooks are there for csb4win to take advantage of it...
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

I'd like to see items cursing ;)

Regards, PitD
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

15 rated csb4win "You call that a £$%^ swing? Give me to Halk!"
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

LOL
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Implemented for V0.29

Objects now have a BREAK_TO property. When thrown against a wall, the object converts to this (for example a FLASK_POTION_VEN breaks to SPELL_POISON_VEN etc). This could easly be extended to created puzzles such as a key in a bottle which you have to smash to get the key etc, or even creating new weapons (FLASK_POTION_DESEW anyone?)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

woohoo excellent !!!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

very cool!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Give woo! Give Yay! Give way?

Excellent -- like the sound of that! Presumably, if there's no BREAK_TO parameter, it behaves as normal.

What would be really useful for this to work even better is to be able to add extra information to items that is only viewable when held up to a characters eye. So for the key in the flask idea, maybe you can't see it in the dungeon graphic because the flask is full, but it you hold it to a character's eye the display says something like "Something is inside this flask". I suggested this feature way back here:

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=23437

It was specifcally for objects with runes, but could work generically for everything.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Yep - that's already planned (but not yet done) for doing before V0.29
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Woo hoo! The King of RTC returns with a vengeance! Thanks George -- good to see you back!