Third Parties and their editors

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Big-J-Q
Adept

Third Parties and their editors

Post by Big-J-Q »

since v0.13 is SUPPOSED TO come out in the near future (Right, George? Right...?), I was wondering, if someone is going to make a "Return to Dmute"-editor? It would be a bit risky business, since the dungeon-format might change.

Well, editor or no, I'm pretty sure there are going to be lots of (or at least a few) chaotic evil Chaoslords eager enough to drive the rest of the players insane :wink:
PeyloW
Novice

Re: Third Parties and their editors

Post by PeyloW »

I would very much be interested in writing the editor. At the moment (and a few months ahead) I have not much to do.

As I have understood the dungeons are
PeyloW
Novice

Post by PeyloW »

I would very much be interested in writing the editor. At the moment (and a few months ahead) I have not much to do.

As I have understood the dungeons are "compiled" from text files, such text files should not be very hard to generate and read. If reading is hard an "developing" format could easely be invented (Dount that is needed). The fileformat being textbased is only good since changes in format do not require such big rewrites of the parser (Unless it is fundamental changes).

If I where to write the editor I would be using Delphi personal edition as it is a free and development tool suited for such tasks. And the source would ofcource be free under GPL or equalent :)

You need not worry I have lots of experience in developing applications with grapghical user interfaces, game development and project mannagement both from hobby projects and my professional work.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yup, the text files that drive RTC are very intuitive, but can contain a lot of information. The core of the editor will be a good parser and data organiser, so assuming you get that right, the rest should be easy.
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

I would love to be involved in any editor project, if anyone is prgramming I can design and beta test :) Unkle Ka5
Don't be scene or herd!
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

> since v0.13 is SUPPOSED TO come out in the near
> future (Right, George? Right...?),

True - but you keep finding bugs in it ;-)

The (text) file format has changed very little in the intervening time, and as mentioned above, if the editor has a well written parser, then any changes I do make to the text format can be incorporated very quickly (like, 10 mins work).

Having said that I have no plans to make any changes to the text format anymore - I think that it's got everything in it that it needs. The only thing that really needs ironing out now are a few small bugs in the RTC engine and a few more in the CSB dungeon (neither of which would affect an editor).

Just to let you know, I would plan to release V1.0 when, and only when, people have completed CSB and can find no futher differences from the original. Currently, not even the former of these is true!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

*Cough*. I'm *trying* to complete CSB, but it's impossible due to various errors in the dungeon... :wink: I've started posting them in the bugs forum....