DESTROYing stuff...

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

DESTROYing stuff...

Post by Gambit37 »

I've been messing around with more stuff in the TXT files, and have discovered that DESTROY_ITEM seems to only affect keys in keyholes. How do I use it to destroy items, say when they are placed in an alcove?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Not a DESTROY but...

Post by Sophia »

You could always put a FLOORITEM_TELEPORTER in the same space as the alcove, and have the alcove activate the teleporter, which will immediately teleport the object off to some obscure location.

It's not strictly a DESTROY but it'll do what you want.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Not a DESTROY but...

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, that's the exact technique I've used, but I don't really like it as it generates warnings when the dungeon is compiled.
chiefy
Big chief

warnings do not impede execution

Post by chiefy »

warnings have no effect on execution whatsoever

you could have doors without frames and buttons in mid air galore, but the dungeon will still run

I find this worry of warnings way OTT

sure it looks messy during compile, but the end user sees nothing of that

be brave and use the mechanisms provided

warnings are simply there for your information

if the dungeon suceeds in what you planned for it, amen to that
from your old mate
c h i e f y
global chiefy to yer old seadog maties
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: DESTROYing stuff...

Post by George Gilbert »

That's exactly right. I put the warnings there purely for information - they in no way stop the RTC file from compiling or the dungeon from running.

What they do do however is highlight bits of the dungeon that *may* be wrong or are at least unusual (e.g. having a door without a door frame, stairs going up without a corresponding down stairs on the previous level etc). When compiling a dungeon you should go through and carefully check each of the warnings - if it is working exactly as you intended it to, then please ignore them!

On a similar note - if anyone has any suggestions about the warnings (e.g. some combination of items that should generate a warning but doesn't - or the other way arround), then please let me know and I'll add it to the next release.