RTC editor

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

RTC editor

Post by beowuuf »

This is the second post that hasn't touched these forums! There is the possibility of a new editor for, check out the thread on the Encyclopaedia:

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=23047

Too tired to check it out now....
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

yeah but..

Post by cowsmanaut »

What about the editor for RTC?? Peylow.. weren't you going to make one? Is that no longer an interest to people.. would you all just rather do it in notepad?

moo
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: RTC editor

Post by beowuuf »

oops, the words 'RTC' have disappeared! It's at the end of the CSBuilder thread, but it is an RTC editor
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

Dorian
Neophyte

Editor

Post by Dorian »

Hi,

Im making an editor for RTC.
Check it out at dorian.brattha.com
Im putting new versions out there almost every day now.

/Ola Lilja
Equus / ZPC
Big head, big heart

Re: Editor

Post by Equus / ZPC »

To make life easier for those interested in RTCEd here are links:

<a href="http://dorian.brattha.com/rtcEd.exe" target="top">RTCEditor</a>

<a href="http://dorian.brattha.com/" target="top">Dorian's Homepage</a>

Good work, keep it up, man...
and to others - enjoy

Equus / ZPC
twinfalls
Journeyman

Dorian Editor

Post by twinfalls »

It does not work.
About a month ago, I had this editor crashing on a PC at home, the day after crashing on a PC at work.
Few days ago, I tried again at home for the same result: It hangs at launch time, then the mouse cursor is blinking and shows "crHourGlass" forever. The only way to get away is: killing this window App.It seems, window survived this.
Well: who has seen this editor working?
My PCs have nothing special, it's all as common as possible the most basic stuff.
copperman
Um Master

Re: Dorian Editor

Post by copperman »

I have run the edotior on my PC (XP Home on Athlon XP) seems to work although it isn't very intuitive:!: <p>Unkle Ka5</p>
Don't be scene or herd!
twinfalls
Journeyman

Dorian Editor

Post by twinfalls »

It works with Win2k.

I tried running this Application under Windows 2000; then I do not have the trouble I reported.

In case, you know, what do you get running this Application under Windows 98 or Windows 98 SE?
PeyloW
Novice

RTC Editor

Post by PeyloW »

You should not wait for an editor from me, the development slowed down to almost nothing when I bought a Macintosh and now I have not touched it for almost a year. The interest for Windows development faded very quickly when I found what I had so far missed out on in the Cocoa API.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

RTC Editor

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Dorian's homepage does not seem to exist anymore - does anyone have a new link or does the editor still exist somewhere else?

Regards PitD
Pavel
Neophyte

RTC

Post by Pavel »

Hi, I have discovered the existence of RTC and I am soooo happy because that's it what I was looking for so looong time :) Now I'm going to create my own dungeons.....
Do you guys have already done some cool caves that I can explore?? Where can I get them?
Do you know where I can find new textures, monsters and other stuff for RTC????
I also plan to do an editor 'cause it's so boring to wite it in notepad :)
Thanks for help!!!
Pavel
chiefy
Big chief

notepad boring ?

Post by chiefy »

notepad isn't boring, it's stable and effective and the error reporting is TOP JOB
whoever programmed the error reports deserves a medal
comprehensive and very helpful !
with the notepad print outs from DM and CSB, plus the examples provided by Gilbert, we have a "look up" book for whatever monsters, weapons or food we need

just one thing though
I can't get Rusters into my dungeon
I tried copying the Add New Monster from DM into my notepad but still no good
from your old mate
c h i e f y
global chiefy to yer old seadog maties
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: notepad boring ?

Post by Ameena »

Greetings :) I played DM and CSB on the Atari many years ago, and just over a week ago my dad discovered RTC and downloaded...I've since finished DM (original) and am partway through CSB. Anyway, I love creating stuff...I've made use of map editors in a number of other games and created my own levels etc and had great fun doing so. I'd love to do so for DM (the thought had never even occurred to me until I saw that it was possible), but I find the Notepad editing thing rather complicated. I fully accept that it must be very useful and that precise changes can be made to all sorts of aspects of the game, but I find it very awkward atm and am eagerly awaiting the appearence of an editor which makes use of graphical thingys to make it somewhat easier...I have messed around with "The Zoo" to some extent and managed to add a new corridor, place a Dragon Steak on the ground, and stick some writing on the wall with little problem, but when I tried putting a key on the ground and a door with a keyhole near it I got loads of errors...but there seems to be no way to look up exactly what these errors are...it says "check the log file for more details" but the log file doesn't work :(
Oh well...hopefully someone will finish making their editor so I can play aruond with it and have fun doing so :)

Oh btw with reference to the "Rusters" mentioned above...I have never seen some of these creatures referred to by such strange names...I mean, I never heard of Generic Monsters being called Rusters (and never had an item rusted by them till I was smashing up the one in The Zoo), or Giant Spiders being callde Oitus and other such things. Hmm must be just me and the hint book we used :roll:
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There were names hard coded in the game - some were used i nthe manual (Oitus and Trolins) some came to light from research after. The ruster comes from an alteration based on a rumour of how that monster was supposed to behave...

George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Hi - can you let me know what you mean by "the log file doesn't work". If you have any specific problems, just say and I'll do my best to help (and change the docs / log file so it's better in the future!).
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, you know how on a desktop everything has the little symbol above the name which you double click on to load the program? So for RTC, the game itself has an icon like a piece of DM wall, and the Notepad files have the Notepad symbol (these files include the Config file and those files for the game where you go in and can change the properties etc). There is a different type of symbol used for, for example, the saved games, and it means they're the type that doesn't load when you double click on them (but as saved games, you wouldn't expect them to load anyway, obviously as they're accessed in the game itself). But when I'd messed around with The Zoo for the first time and it came up with some errors, a file called (I think) "TheZoo.log" appeared, bearing this symbol of "it doesn't work when you load it". When I try, it brings up the little window with something like "Open in..." or "Open with..." and then a list of all the programs on the computer or something...either it's the computer not having the right thing to make it work, or the log file itself is smegged. I did think that maybe it was meant to open as another Notepad document or something, listing all the errors, but nope...can't get it to load so I can't find out...I just have the knowledge that there's loads of stuff wrong with what I changed in the program :roll: .
Even after I deleted the door and keyhole (it had been fine before, no errors) it said there were errors. I dunno if any more appeared after I put four Firestaves (with Gem attached, muahahahahah :twisted: ) on the floor, 'cause I can't remember what the figures were before :roll: .
I've probably entered a few wrong commands into the Notepad file somewhere, but I have no idea what...I got the ones I've used so far by just copying and pasting those that already exist and altering the co-ordinates etc so that they apply to my map. I will be so glad when a "proper" editor appears :) (not that I'm saying the Notepad thing is a load of rubbish or anything, simply that it's a bit too complicated for my poor little brain :( )
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Um, did you ever try to open it with the Editor or the Notepad?

<p>Komm zur bunten Seite der Macht! </p>
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

One more thing: To have a full graphical editor for RTC that is able to set all aspects of dungeons would be kind of Heaven for every dungeoneer!

George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Ameena - when you get the "Open with..." prompt, just select notepad and tick the box for "always use this program" (or similar). You'll then be able to click on the log files and read what's in them.

The log files are just plain text files (they just don't end with *.txt), so if you prefer, another way of reading them would be to start up notepad then use the "File" menu to load the log file from within notepad.

If you have any more problems, please let me know.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ahh okay I'll try that when I get home then, thankies :)
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Woo tried opening it with Notepad and it worked...managed to correct what was wrong so now I'm gonna have a further mess around with it I think and see what else I can do...I tried putting a Sar Shield on the ground but when I went into the game there WAS a shield, and it had the name "Sar Shield" when I picked it up, but its graphic was that of the Shield of Lyte lol...either I typed something wrong somewhere to make it do that, or there's an error in the game...?
Big chief

ameena1

Post by chiefy »

your writings are very familiar because we can identify with your "learning curve" my friend

that's what you're going through, take it from me - you have learned so much already, that for you to create a good dungeon is almost in the bag

when you have 0 critical errors, George's program will save out a permanent file that can be slotted alongside 'zoo'

at that stage, your dungeon can be "listed" with 'zoo' and 'orange' in the DM start menu

actually, I was just e-mailing beowuff to say that a few of "our" full scale dungeons, SHOULD be filed alongside 'zoo' and 'orange' IN the download

presently there are none, which seems such a shame!

the effect of this, is that anybody picking up Dungeon Master from an internet trawl, can download George's DM and CSB, but there's no way that the average DM'er will take the trouble to find the DM forum that holds the 30 extra dungeons we've built

c'mon THEY ARE NOT GOING TO BOTHER

BUT
if a few of those 30 were included in the original download, they'd be there in the menu ready to go

why can't this happen ? !
from your old mate
c h i e f y
global chiefy to yer old seadog maties
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: ameena1

Post by George Gilbert »

Erm, no reason.

If anyone sends them to me that I'll happily either include them with the download or have a link to them in the same place as the link to RTC.

The same goes to finished games. When you finish a game of RTC, if you email me back the RTC file then I'll happily add your party to a "global" hall of champions - it's just that no-one has yet...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, I finished DMO in about four days or so, but I haven't played RTC as I prefer the original magic system :)
Anyway, about dungeon editing...so far I've been editing The Zoo, as you know, but I don't think I could create a dungeon from scratch...it just looks too complicated. So far all I've been doing is adding items to the floor and writing on the wall etc...oh and bringing the mobs' hps down from 999999 so I can actually kill them :roll: . Anyway, that was all either changing numbers or copying and pasting stuff that already existed. Still, now I've managed to get the log files to work I will actually have some clue as to what is going wrong, so I'm gonna try adding a door, key, and keyhole again...but creating a whole dungeon of my own isn't going to happen unless I get it in graphical form, I think...so it will be a very long way off then lol
Artisan

Post by Lubor Kolar »

What's the problem with magic system when you use "Dungeon Master-Original" in CSB? AFAIK DM-RTC and DM-Original modules in RTC differ only in the fact that DM-RTC requires magic book and the DM-Original does not.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Exactly...I prefer to be able to cast all the needed spells (well, I only use Fireball, Magic Torch, a Zo or two, and of course Zokathra on level 14) straight away rather than have to wait however long it is till I find the appropriate scroll on the ground with the spell inscribed...it's just what I prefer, that's all, since that's what I'm used to :)
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The same goes to finished games. When you finish a game of RTC, if you email me back the RTC file then I'll happily add your party to a "global" hall of champions - it's just that no-one has yet... <hr></blockquote>

By game of RTC I meant "any dungeon played with RTC", not just DM (RTC). When you finish any module, then the details are saved back into the RTC file, so that includes DM (OV). If you want to send me your completed RTC file, then as I said I'm very happy to extract the party data and put up a "best of the best" web-page. With enough results it may even help to settle (erm, or should that be re-ignite with a burning passion) the which characters are the best debate...

As for the differences between DM (RTC) and DM (OV), there are actually two. The magic system as pointed out above (and existence of the spell book / power scroll) and also in DM (OV) the rusters don't rust.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh okay I'll look around and see if I can find that file to send it to you...didn't think it was that amazing that I'd finished since it was really easy. Still, partway through CSB and my Wizzy still only has about 59hp lol...well he definitely wins the prize for most deaths hehe :lol:
Oh and I'm glad the "Rusters" don't rust objects, since I know them as "Generic Monsters" who just kind of scuttle around and bite your ankles lol :)
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I can't find the file...where is it located please? Or what is it called, or something?
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, George, you know why I didn't yet finish a dungeon. All my hopes rely on V 0.25!