CSB Dungeon Exits to Desktop

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Shoe33
Neophyte

CSB Dungeon Exits to Desktop

Post by Shoe33 »

Hello All,

I have been following this program for a while, but this is my first post. I was very happy to see CSB for RTC. I have played the game on Amiga, ST, some of the emulated PC versions, and the ported ST version.

Anyway, I seem to be encountering an odd problem with the CSB dungeon in Version 0.16. At random times, but especially when accessing character inventory the game exits to the desktop. I have tried modifying some of the ini settings, but it seems to have the same problem with nearly all of the settings.

I seem to recall others having a similar problem with moving the character icons in an earlier version of RTC.

My settings are P4 1300 mhz, 256 Ram, Geforce 2, SbLive, Windows XP. I have a ton of other games and have not seen any similar problems with any others.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or if others have seen a similar problem.

On an unrelated note, is the DM Encyclopedia page doa? I have not been able to access it lately and was wondering if it may have moved?

Thanks
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: CSB Dungeon Exits to Desktop

Post by beowuuf »

See the compass post...you might be experiencing this crash, whic hhas nothign to do with your settings, just has to do with the compass being in a character's possession

If you are getting crashes at another time, it could be a diferent reason...just a thought, check for this and if there is soemhting other than this, then you might be able to pin it down better

The Encyclopaedia is temporarily down...I've mailed the site owner, and he in turn has mailed his ISP...so should hopefully be up soon
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

There are what appear to be random crashes in the CSB dungeon. I've experienced them several times and have mentioned them to George. I can't honestly remember if it happens in the DM dungeon as well, but it sometimes seems connected to killing monsters.

No one (including George) seems to be able to clearly replicate this though. Hence that's why it appears random. The compass bug is definitely new in this release though.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I had a similar bug in DM v16 (without having picked up the compass): At two different occasions the game crashed when I blasted a worm 3 tiles away.
<p>Komm zur bunten Seite der Macht! </p>
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
kanttuvei
Neophyte

Re: CSB Dungeoin Exits to Desktop

Post by kanttuvei »

Well, it seems to happen in DM dungeon as well. I posted yesterday about the crash when killing the floating eye thingie with the door, but it actually crashes everytime you kill the mob, no matter what.

I have a save-game from that spot, just need to start rtc, enter through a door and start killing. When the mob dies it crashes to desktop every time, in case it's hard to reproduce. Seems to be 100% reproducible here.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Personally it was a vexirk outside of the no fireballs room with me, we were exchanging spells (well, he threw a fireball, i threw a bomb), and the game crashed while i was sidestepping out of the way.
I wonder if it's monster movement while another object (spell, door) is hitting the same tile.
Or a recheck against all the tile contents, but the monster dies in the meantime so suddenly it's rechecking collision against somethign that doesn't exist?
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

Equus / ZPC
Big head, big heart

Post by Equus / ZPC »

My dungeon ended while casting poison cloud on one blue beast with club on 3rd (or second - depends how you count them) floor - Vault of creatures or somehting like that.

I was playing only with Gando the RTC-DM dungeon (with the spell book). Version of RTC 0.16.
OS Win2000,128 MBram... plenty of free mem ;-))).

Just to notice.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Next error of this type: game crashed when I blasted a couatl on level 5 (counting the Hall of Champion as lvl 1) again three tiles away. The error reocured when I reloaded the game and did it again, but when I reloaded once more and killed it at 1 tile distance, game continued normally.
I kept that savegame for reference.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

coatyls are fast and move and spin alot
Keep trying at 1 tile distance and see if it's always clear, or if you can get a crash

George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

I've tried over and over again to crash RTC in this way and have failed to reproduce it at all.

For V0.17 I've added some exception handling routines and vastly improved the underlying architecture so that:

1) It shouldn't crash any more
2) When it encounters an error it'll dump a load of diagnostics to disk; if this happens can you please let me know what you were doing at the time and send me whatever it gives you!

Hopefully this should help track down the source of the error...
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Irregular appearing errors are quite frustrating for a programmer, aren´t they?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, i WAS going to ask when v0.17 was goign to appear, but now i can see when ...now! : )

kanttuvei
Neophyte

RE: CSB Dungeon Exits to Desktop

Post by kanttuvei »

Heh.. v0.17 doesn't even boot to the DM game anymore. v0.16 and v0.15 worked just fine, but v0.17 just throws to desktop in "initializing Dungeon"... choosing CSB from the main menu works, but not the original DM.

RTC Diagnostic file - Wed Mar 13 18:45:10 2002

Stack Dump:
RTC.UnLoadBitmaps();
RTC.InitSecondary();
RTC.DoFrame(int 7);
RTC.WinMain();
Lunever
Grand Druid

Re: RE: CSB Dungeon Exits to Desktop

Post by Lunever »

I just want to confirm this.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Fixed for V0.18