Hi guys! I'm new!

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
+Isamu

Hi guys! I'm new!

Post by +Isamu »

All I have to say is WOW! My jaw is on the floor. Because I had no idea people would still be talking about my favorite game of all time. And to have an actuall web site devoted to it is, well...just plain damn KEWL! Anyway, I was reading the other thread that talked about the future of the site and I SERIOUSLY hope it stays alive and kicking for years to come. I just got here (by accident no less) and it would suck not to be able to talk to you guys after such a short encounter.
Anyways, since I haven't even begun to attempt playing DM on my PC, not to mention I've just barely heard of an Amiga emulator, I obviously have a few questions.

1)First of all, here are my PC specs: PIII 500 w/128megs of ram, on board video and on board sound chip. How well can I expect the Amiga versions DM and CSB to run on my PC via WinUAE?

2)Is WinUAE easy to use? I'm not that good with programming and stuff like that. How easy is it to transfer Amiga floppies to PC format?

3)I downloaded the PC version of DM and it plays fine, except there's no sound. I heard dos has problems using on board sound chips. Is that why? Anything I can do about it? If not, would it be better to just play the Amiga version?

4)I already know that there's no PC version of CSB, but are there any custom made downloadable dungeons that are exact replicas of CSB that can be played on the PC version of DM?

5)Are the dungeons that are downloadable from this site and from Ian's site (hey what's up Ian? Nice to meet ya! Your site rocks btw) for the PC or the Amiga version of DM? Or does it even matter?

That's it for now. Any of these questions answered would be greatly appreciated. Keep the torch lit!
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

Welcome aboard, fellow soul :-)
Now, onto the Q&A section:
"1)First of all, here are my PC specs: PIII 500 w/128megs of ram, on board video and on board sound chip. How well can I expect the Amiga versions DM and CSB to run on my PC via WinUAE?"
110% I would say. But some people have had trouble using WinUAE to run CSB in the past, but I haven't checked the latest release so I don't know if the problems still are.
Anyway I would suggest Fellow, but IIRC it has now been discontinued.
"2)Is WinUAE easy to use? I'm not that good with programming and stuff like that. How easy is it to transfer Amiga floppies to PC format?"
Relatively easy. With the docs you should be fine. A program to create ADFs came with Fellow and I believe UAE was packed with one also.
You'll need to get the program into real Amiga (via serial cable or PC floppy and CrossDOS [Amiga 1200 or better]). Then you make the disk image and transfer it to PC with eighter of those methods.
"3)I downloaded the PC version of DM and it plays fine, except there's no sound. I heard dos has problems using on board sound chips. Is that why? Anything I can do about it? If not, would it be better to just play the Amiga version?"
Depends. If you have an older soundboard, SB64 for example. You'll need to play in DOS mode (no Windows in the back) and run some drivers (windows\CTCM, creative\aweutil)
If you have Live! for example you can forget about sound. It doesn't have DOS drivers.
"4)I already know that there's no PC version of CSB, but are there any custom made downloadable dungeons that are exact replicas of CSB that can be played on the PC version of DM?"
There isn't a CSB dungeon yet atleast. I think someone was making it, but I don't know any more about it...
There are however many other dungeon created. I have made a original work, "Grave of King Milius" and recreated DM2 for use with DM1.
You can get them from here or Ian's or my site http://personal.inet.fi/cool/tylisirn/
"5)Are the dungeons that are downloadable from this site and from Ian's site (hey what's up Ian? Nice to meet ya! Your site rocks btw) for the PC or the Amiga version of DM? Or does it even matter?"
I cannot speak for Ian, but...
They are for PC DM unless othervise stated. At the moment I think there is one Amiga CSB dungeon though.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

Hi,
Nice to meet you!
The dungeons on my site are for PC DM unless it says otherwise. There is one for Amiga CSB by Simon and it should say that on the page.
I have just done a tiny dungeon which is based upon someones' description of the "Kid Dungeon". It will be included in the next update which should be in the next week!
Daniel Gustafsson
Apprentice

Post by Daniel Gustafsson »

Nice to see some new fellows. :)
1) Amiga DM and CSB will probably run fine on your computer.
3) What OS do you use?
/Daniel
+Isamu

Post by +Isamu »

Oh and another thing regarding Fellow, is there a Windows version of it? I have the dos version but I try to run it from Windows by clicking on the icon in the folder. Will Fellow run using this Method? My kick.rom icon is located in the same basic folder as Fellow.
Oh and Toni, you mention a dos driver for my on board sound chip called "windows\CTCM, creative\aweutil". Where can I get this? Thanks!
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

The driver's I mentioned come with SoundBlaster AWE64 (and AWE32). I was referring to the places they can be found. If you don't have eighter of the above soundcards, you won't have the latter file. Not sure about the first one, try :-)
C:\Windows\ctcm.com
and
C:\Program Files\creative\ctsnd\aweutil.com
Path's depend on your configuration.
+Isamu

Post by +Isamu »

Thanks for the response guys. I was able to run WinUAE and DM seems to run pretty good so far(I haven't tried CSB yet) but I can't save my game. I created a new blank "floppy" in WinUAE's df1 slot, but the game won't even format it. How can I get DM to format a floppy? Which directory does does it have to be under?

As for Fellow, I downloaded it but it won't recognize my Kickstart rom. What directory in Fellow do I need to put it in? And which version should I try? I tried 1.3 but maybe it's a bad rom. I'll try 3.1 and see what happends.
I'm running Windows '98 BTW.