Graphics niggles

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Seeker19
Apprentice

Graphics niggles

Post by Seeker19 »

So, I realize I've barely scratched the surface of RTC; feeling that there's no place to start like the original, I'm playing through "Dungeon Master: the original dungeon". I am quite impressed with the fidelity of the reproduction, and am pleased with most of the changes.

While my reading of the posts here suggests that I might be able to repair these myself using the editing tools in RTC, I feel I should point out two graphics anomalies that interrupt my appreciation of the experience.

The first is the wall graphic for a section of wall with a chink missing. When viewed from the side, the chink appears in the wrong place on the wall. Rather than appearing in the middle of the wall (or slightly to the right of the middle), when approaching the wall in question from down the hall, the chink appears on the left-most edge of the wall.

The second is the water bottle. In the original DM and CSB (and maybe Legend of Skullkeep - I don't remember that one as well), as you drank from a water bottle, the graphic of the water bottle changed, showing commensurately more wrinkles to indicate that it was getting more and more empty. Unlike the wall graphic above (which is just irritating), the water bottle graphics effect gameplay. In RTC, the water bottle graphic is unchanged from the full bottle through Almost Full, Half Full and Almost Empty. The graphic only changes when the bottle is empty. Was this an intentional change? It forces me to pick up the water bottle and examine it, whereas in the originals I could just look at the bottle in the backpack (or pouch, wherever I kept it) and tell how dire my risk of dehydration was.

It's a small difference, but noticeable.

Thanks,

Seeker19
Unlucky_Mule
Novice

Post by Unlucky_Mule »

Regarding point #2:
On the Amiga versions of DM and CSB -- at least the ones I had -- the water graphic changed to an empty waterskin only when completely empty. So RTC is accurate from my experience.

UM
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I agree -- it's only DM2 that had multiple states for the water skin.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

I still think it's a good point worth pursuing. Since RTC does not strictly copy the original but improved several issues, the waterskin might be something not too hard to change but a nice-to-have goodie - at least in the RTC, if not in the "original DM" version. George?

Regards, PitD
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I agree with PitD.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
copperman
Um Master

Wrinkles

Post by copperman »

Gets my vote :shock:
Don't be scene or herd!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

that's not true.. is it? The DM2 hade 4 states but DM amiga and PC had 3 states. Full, patial, and empty. I'm almost positive.

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Just checked -- it's definitely 2 states only for DM and CSB, but 4 for DM2.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Just to make sure don't know which version you meant, Gambit - it's the same for CSBwin - 2 states only.

Regards, PitD
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

how odd.. so many things I felt I remembered.. and yet it was not so.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

There's just so much information, both hidden and open in these games - nobody can keep it all. I'm always amazed at the little details being revealed here - some of them quite different from my memory... ;)

Regards, PitD