CSB on PC?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

CSB on PC?

Post by Lunever »

Hi!
Many years ago I had much fun playing Dungeon Master I and Chaos Strikes Back on my good old Amiga. Recently a friend of mine gave it to me for PC and it was much fun again, although I had to play it with almosat no sound except for very silent PC Speaker sound, because I didn´t got my VIA AC´97 onboard sound to work in MS-DOS.
Now, that I have played it again, I would like to continue with my charactersChaos Strikes Back, but it seems, that there is no PC version of that game.
I also bought an original version of Dungeon Master II via eBay, but doesn´t work at all with my computer (total system halt when I try to star it).
So I have the following questions:

1) Does a PC version of CSB exist, and if, where can I obtain it (buy a original version if possible or download it). If not, would a PC-emulated Amiga or Atari-Version work, and can I transfer the Characters from my current DM I-session to it?
2) Do you have an idea what to do to get DM II working?
3) Do you maybe have any hint, how to enable Sound under DOS?
4) Do you know, where an original DM I game still can be obtained?

I hope, that you can help help me with the one or another of my thousand questions.
CU, Lunever!
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: CSB on PC?

Post by Gambit37 »

Everything you need to play these games either either emulated or otherwsie is available on this site. Check out the Games Setup Guide on the left....

Please don't take this the wrong way, but did you not look around the site before posting this message? Did you find the forums by coming through the site's home page, or by getting straight to the forums using a search engine? I am interested to know, as many people seem to have trouble finding things on this site.

Your input will help Christophe (the manager of this site) to improve things.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I did look around and in the games setup I found DM I + II for Amiga, Atari AND PC, while CSB has no entry for PC. So before I try to run an emulation I´d prefer to know, whether there is an pure PC version of CSB.

And yes, I did use a search engine to find this site, altavista to be precise.

For the sound problem: I already tried everything, not only for dungeon master, but I can´t get it going, for the so-called dos-drivers from VIA state, that I have to enable legacy of sound blaster in bios first, whether it is enabled or it is not. The people from VIA seem to be the only ones who claim those drivers working on their machines and they give pretty silly or no answers when questioned for help in their forums from lots of users. Yet I must admit I did not yet try the sound tool from this site, which certainly will next.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I posted on another forum, but for your sound problem, there is a sound set-up in DM2
If you have downloaded the PC version , you can use this it to check your set up in dos. I don't know why, i ound that this also meant my DM one was also working fine...odd, really
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I did not yet try the download DM2 from this site, but when I try to configure the setup from DM2 installed from an original CD I get a total system crash when trying to choose or detect any device and when I leave the setup with no sound chosen I get this system crash when I start DM2 after the intro-logo.
I obtained this CD via eBay and do not really know whether it worked proper before, but the CD seems to have no physical damage and the former owner sais it went fine.
So next I´ll try download from here, I´ll see what will happen.

Other thing: PC- version of CSB?
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Look at the number 1 question in the FAQ

it is number one, because SOOOO many people keep asking about it!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There is a PC patch for DM 2 on..umm, either the games set-up, or the download page here
Try running that, and see if it solves the CD crash

All i can say is that downloading the DM2 version, then the patch, from here, I had no problems, so you might want to try that if you have no joy with your own purchased copy of DM 2

Good luck with it all
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

Paul Evans
Novice

Post by Paul Evans »

I also had problems at first with the sound on DM2. It would not recognise my soundcard (yamaha) and I spent the first half of the dungeon in silence. In the end I had to configure it was a soundblaster and it worked then, give it a try it may work
Alan Taylor

Post by Alan Taylor »

Hi There,

Some bright programmer converted the old Atari ST CSB version to work
under Windows 95, 98 etc with sound ! It is a very good conversion.

You can get it from www.the-underdogs.org/ (It is under the RPG section).

If you have any problems send me your email address and I will send you
it - in a zip file format (0.5mb).

Cheers

Alan
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

The current version at The Underdogs is 3.0. You should
probably get version 7.2 from dmweb.free.fr in the
clones section.

PAul
psteven@facstaff.wisc.edu
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, incase you don't realise, that is the bright programmer of it ; )

atr

Post by atr »

is it able to handle a saved game from the PC version of DM?

cheers
Atr
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

No.