csb emulation

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Elija

csb emulation

Post by Elija »

Hi Christphe!

Great Site! I love it! I just started an Atari ST with afew of my favorite games and Dungeon Master is my favorite game of all time. I played this game on the Atari ST many years ago and it left a big impression, I played this game to end about 100 times :-). I never got achance to play Chaos Strikes Back though and I regret it now! I never got the game to work with WinSTon or WinUAE. On WinSTon i cant resume a game like you said and on WinUAE i cant get the to start at all. I tried it before about a year ago but since I have my site I've been trying to get it to work again, maybe you can help me, what config did you use? did you ever get the game to work properly on any emulator? Thanks for your help!
cu!
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

RE: csb emulation

Post by ChristopheF »

I have no problem playing CSB with WinUAE. Here is the configuration I use :

WinUAE v0.8.14 Release 3
RAM : Chip 8 MB, no other memory
ROM : Kickstart v3.1
CPU : 68EC020+FPU
Display : Chipset OCS
Sound : Emulated, 100% accurate, 44100 Hz, 16 bit, stereo, interpolation disabled
Misc : Custom-chip blits immediate and 32-bit checked
No hard disk
CSB game floppy in DF0: and CSB savedisk in DF1:

Bye
Manu

Post by Manu »

Well, I'm also experiencing quite a lot of troubles playing CSB on WinUAE (0.8.14 Release 3) or WinSTon (0.4).

I've tried many KickstartROM including V3.1 on WinUAE and many TOS on WinonST (from 1.00 to 2.06 US or FR) but none of them works correctly:

- on ST emulation i'm able to save game but cannot load it (resume)... unusable!

- on WinUAE, I cannot save game, it will always end with a "Software failure" and a reset!

I tried your configuration as well as many other, but I'm still unable to play it! I will have to take my old 1040 out of its box (it must be somewhere in the house...) and see if it's still working after all those years of inactivity!

But I would have preffered "killing time" at work enjoying CSB on my PC...

Any success on a WIn2000 (SP1) ?
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Sorry, I made a mistake in my previous message.
I use WinUAE 0.8.14 R3, but not to play CSB, because you cannot save games with this version !
To play CSB, I use the good old WinUAE 0.8.8 R8: no problem saving with this version.

For the ST version, I read somewhere that the game works (well, you can at least load your saved game) with older versions of PaCifiST... but I never tried myself...

Christophe
duduche...

Post by duduche... »

coucou...amis frenchs???

I have a problem with amiga emulator: i don't find kuickstart
Where could I find it???
warmonger3

Post by warmonger3 »

He is right, for one thing you must have the kickstart rom, for another it only works on WinUAE 0.8.8 R8. I love this game, thanks Christophe, for showing me where the game has been all these years. Runs better than most old dos games, lol.
A Taylor

Post by A Taylor »

I use Fellow V0.3.6 R1 for CSB

Main Configuration details

DF0:CSBgame
DF1:CSBSave - note you need a special savegame disk which you can download from e.g Back To The Roots - an amiga emulation site

Chip Memory: 2048k
Fast Memory: 0k
Slow Memory: 0k

Kickstart 2.1

Sound: normal

Chip: M68000
speed: 28mhz 68000
blitter speed : finish instantly
long blits : enabled (ECS Blitter)

I played CSB for hours and hours and never had a single problem
with this configuration.

Alan
Anders

Post by Anders »

Hey Guys, I am also having a problem with WINSTon.. I can get the game up and running, and I can save my game .(I am using the hacked version which suppossidly allows up to four saved games) The problem I am having is finding the saved game. (CSBGAME.DAT) When I load the Utility disk, it says it cannot find my game!! Likewise I can not begin a new adventure.....
Do any of you know how to solve this problem, It would be MOST appreciated!!
P.S I am also having difficulty with WINSTon's keyboard settings. any tips would be great Thanks for your time
Sundeep Nandra

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

You can't play using an Atari ST emulator. I used an Amiga emulator and downloaded the Amiga version of the game and played it that way.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

You certainly can play CSB with the Winston ST Emulator.
But it is slow and not too friendly, IMHO. If you really want
to do it, write to me directly and we will make it work.
prsteven@facstaff.wisc.edu
Why not get CSB for Windows? It is fast and friendly. Of
course I may be biased since I wrote it! It is an *EXACT*
translation of the Atari version, except that I did not
translate two or three bugs in the original.

PAul
Lord Miles of Eslake

Post by Lord Miles of Eslake »

hey thanks paul!! I gave your Atari ST Chaos a try and it worked beatifully:)
Now im able to relive all those classic old memories:) Once again THANKS!!