Multiplayer Dungeon Master?

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
LazyOldman
Journeyman

Multiplayer Dungeon Master?

Post by LazyOldman »

Ok, now i know that this has been discussed before, again and again!!!

But can it be easily done? I imagine that it'd be easier to adapt one of the DM clones rather than any of the originals... but can it be done? does anyone actually want to do it?

Imagine this: 4 players playing over a network, each controlling a character... Leyla lures the dragon away from the power gem, dodging the stream of fireballs, hidden behind a column wait Gothmog and Elija then they pounce catch the dragon in a pincer movement unleashing their own fireballs, as Leyla and Halk circle behind the dragon and set about it with Hardcleave and The Inquisitor.
Or... Gothmog pauses at the corner and peaks around before continuing chasing Wuuf, he runs down the corridor but steps too far and out into the room too soon and catches a poison cloud in the head, choking and spluttering he side steps and looks around frantically and there stands Wuuf in the far corner. Then all hell breaks loose, fireballs flying back and forth. Wuufs mana runs down so he switches to his Stormring, the lightening bolt misses, and thats when Gothmog charges, his Samurai Sword drawn, he knows he'll get two strikes before Wuufs Stormring recharges. Looks like another Frag to Gothmog!!

Hmm, sounds like fun!! Anyone interested in making me and 436 other registered users very happy, please feel free... :wink:

PS: I'm willing to lend a hand testing & debugging... :wink:
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

It can deffently be done with Dungeon Maker and we would like to do it but its going to be a massive task for wishbone. At the moment we are working on bugs and extra more need features like save games and communication.

Once Dungeon Maker is more finished and playable im sure wishbone would add support, if you want to help play dungeon maker or learn Blitz :)

www.blitzbasic.com
www.blitzcoder.com

This is what dungeon maker is made in :)

Andyboy_uk uses blitz but i know he working on that RTC Editor so maybe at a later date he might be willing to help.

Also you could play Bloodwych as that was 2 player

www.bloodwych.co.uk

www.dungeon-maker.com
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

i want it i want it i want it

very important: the ability to turn friendly fire on and off. oh, and pvp of course.
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

That would be great, i would be to test any games for anyone who attempts. But i can't programme my way out of a paper bag.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah I think multiplyer DM would be brilliant - don't really like playing against other players so the ability to turn off accidentally nuking them would be good :). But like Antman, I can't program either. I have absolutely no clue...so I'll just sit around here and let someone else do all the hard work so I can play it when it comes out :D.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I've been dreaming of a multiplayer-DM for years... it would be really great!!!

I don't think that shooting other players should be turned off, for without friendly-fire-accidents it would be only half the fun. But it should be possible to group somehow to simulate party-style fighting, where you won't accidentally blast the character standing right beside you. But as I said, if you shoot a fireball down a corridor, and a character happens to stand on the tile it explodes...shit happens, you know.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If it did happen, i would imagine multiple parties in the same dungeon. Actually, DM is nicely biased for this - experience is gained by party, not by kills and so on, so as long as you had some form of universal database of the dungeon status and the various timers for fireballs, monsters generating, etc that are around, then everyone could experience the same environment
Everyone else would appear like monsters to the other team

The friendly fire on/off would be harder - it could treat each other party like a wall for actual weapon blows, though i imagine imunity to spell attacks would be harder - though funny if it also treated them liek a wall - you fire a fireball at a team ,and you get it in the face instead

Edit: and yes, i would prefer friendly fire on too : )

demon: excuse me
*boom*
party 1: hey, that was gando you ^&%$bite!
demon: umm, excuse me...i'm a dangerous demon...
*boom*
party 2: hey, watch what you are doing you team killing ^%$*tards!
*boom*
party 1: i'm sorry? what was that? i can't hear you over the sound of your constant teamkilling
demon: umm,..i have sharp pointy teeth and everything
*BOOM*
party 1 and 2: hey! that demon was ours!
[/rvb]
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

hehe as i said its possible but LOADS of work so untill Dungeon Maker is working properly I dont think its very high on are to do list, but when we did do It i guess we would do it the same way as Bloodwych does just over TCP/IP instead of splitscreen.

Im suprised none of you like Bloodwych that was the best part of the game the fact it as split screen multiplayer, levels were all well design to allow both players to move around (Just watch out for when someone starts using WychWind:))

Just remeber the more popular Dungeon Maker gets and the more help we get from help the more wishbone will want to write the code and keep the project alive.

Also on a side note, as Dungeon Maker is writen in Blitz there is word going round that the next version of Blitz (BlitzMax) will be multiplatform so Linux and Mac ports could be on the way. Check out www.blitzbasic.com for more details but im guessing that they are going from D3D to OpenGL.