DM2 Macintosh Movie Files

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

DM2 Macintosh Movie Files

Post by Gambit37 »

Has anyone managed to find a way of playing the MooV files in DM2 for Mac under Windows?

Apparently they are Quicktime files but the latest QT player won't play them. I tried searching for other alternatives but came up blank.

I don't really want to install a whole mac emu just to view and convert these to a Windows format...
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Hmm, the QT player is supposed to play them. I suppose you already tried renaming them from *.MooV to *.mov (if the double o wasn't a typo)? I still have somewhere older versions of QT (3 and 4 I think), tell me if you want them (but I don't think that they are able to play anything that the latest version (6 I think) wouldn't play, they are just more instable than later versions.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Diriyando
Novice

Post by Diriyando »

I have a Mac and with the newest QuickTime-Versions for Mac it works perfect. It should work with WinDOS, too, shouldn't it?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Maybe QT files aren't compatible across platforms? I thought that they were?

I tried QT 2 on my old Win98 machine and that doesn't work either.

Perhaps these aren't QT files at all, but FTL's own format -- they did make their own animation formats for most of the versions of their games. It's possible they gave the movies a QT creator type for some other reason.

The other alternative is to install a Mac Emu, but I can't find any mac roms for download... anyone?
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Explanations here:
http://www.macdisk.com/quickten.php3

I used HFVExplorer to extract data from my .DSK Macintosh emulator hard drive. It allows you to copy either data fork or resource fork. Once you have both, you can play the movie with quicktime for PC. I have not tried to "flatten" the file, but it should work too.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Phew -- after a lot of fiddling about, I finally have these as Quicktime Movie files which play fine using QT6 on the PC.

I installed the whole basilisk emulator and installed DM2 from the CD (I have an original Mac version). Of course, I was stymied in playing as the doors don't open, the same problem that was in WinUAE... looks like there is some nice background music in the game too. Shame can't get to play it.

Anyway, using HFV Explorer, I extracted the movies as MacBinary files, then used QT-Flattener to make them PC compatible.

Do you want them for the Enyclopaedia site Christophe?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I noticed something a bit odd in the ending movie:

*SPOILER*

When Dragoth returns to Lord Chaos for his punishment, both he and Chaos talk about "Theron's" champions. Yet the main character in the game is "Torham". Does this mean that Theron is actually once again in control of Torham and his group, or is it an oversight on the part FTL? I assume it's a mistake -- I will have to find out from the horses mouth!
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Gambit, I will probably add to my web site some tips on how to "extract" the movies from the Mac version to play them on PC. But I have not enough web space to put them on the site. If someone else can host them, then I would be glad to add links to the files.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”