DM Snes Crash

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Hiroshi
Neophyte

DM Snes Crash

Post by Hiroshi »

I wasn't entirely sure where to post this, as this isn't a clone version but i'm talking about the original for the snes.

I made a search but i couldn't find a previous post about this so...

The game works fine up to the intro and the very beginning where you see the entrance. But once you walk in, the game completely crashes. I've tried both English versions (Pal and NTSC) but i haven't tried the japanese versions.... mainly because i don't understand Japanese and might find it a bit hard on that basis.

I have take a screenshot so you can see what i get. Take a look Here.

I am using ZSnes (Windows Version), and i have the following specs:
Windows XP Professional
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton
GeForce FX 5600 Ultra (256MB DDR)
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe (Nvidia Chipset [Sound - Nvidia Soundstorm])

But generally it should work perfectly. I'm very surprised when it crashed on me. It's reasonable to think it's the emulator, but ZSnes has never had a problem before +.+'

Anyway. If possible i would like to get this working on this emulator. I like the cheat system mehehe.

Any Ideas?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

DM for SNES doesn't work on ZSNES because it doesn't emulate the DSP2 chip that was used in Dungeon Master.

However, all is not lost: SNES9X does support this chip, and the game is completely playable using version 1.40 or above:

http://www.snes9x.com/
Hiroshi
Neophyte

Post by Hiroshi »

Nyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ;_;
Then all is lost. The whole reason i wanted to use the Snes version instead of the PC version was so i could access the cheat system. Although Snes9x does have a cheat system, it's really... well... crap =P

(sigh)... Thanks though. ^.^
meh.
Hiroshi
Neophyte

Post by Hiroshi »

I just tried using Snes9x as you suggested. The game does run (YaY), but the cheat system never works (As usual). I found an exact value, and adjusted it, and instead of increasing my health like it was suppose to it just screwed the game up.

The cheat system in Snes9x never works (sigh).

Thanks for such a quick response though and your help. Very much appreciated =D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, I found the same thing -- I put in a whole bunch of cheats and they didn't do anything at all. Very frustrating!

You could maybe petition the authors of ZSNES to add DSP2 support? That's what happened with Snes9X, and they eventually implemented it.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yeah, I tried Zsnes creators as well when I started the whole push for SNES9X to inlcude DSP2 for DMsnes.. (was it 2 or 3 years ago now) Neither of them seemed willing to budge on it. I think it was more the people who wanted that other game .. Robotech? or Gundam wing or something? It also needed DSP support.. probably between the two even..

But as you noticed I didn't even know untill you told me that they had finally done it! When I was pestering them with emails all I got back was.. "sorry it's really not worth the effort for just two games"

moo
Hiroshi
Neophyte

Post by Hiroshi »

lol. You would of thought that it isn't a case of 'effort' but rather a case of making sure their emulator is 100% compatible with 'every' game out there. What's the point in an emulator if it dosn't emulate eh? XP
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

The latest official release of ZSNES available on their official web site http://www.zsnes.com/ does not emulate DM correctly.

However, their latest work in progress does emulate DM. It is available here (May 8, 2004 currently): http://emuhost.com/ipher/zsnes/
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Hey, all right! It's too bad DM-SNES came out before Mario Paint. This game really needs mouse support to be playable. (I can't believe I ever played the game as long as I did all those years ago, but I guess it was a different world then.)
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

I like SNES9X better, because I have no problems running anything. I do admit, though, that getting good cheats is hard. I made my own cheat for Stargate that gave me unlimited grenades, and a cheat for Super Double Dragon for unlimited lives. But either Double Dragon switches around its addresses, or SNES9X doesn't function well. I reccommend using SNES9X for most applications, though.

Also, if using SNES9X, use the character editor created by Kentaro. That should help.