Java DM

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Return to DM

Java DM

Post by Return to DM »

Has anyone tried this Java version? I returned to the dungeons after 10 or more years and got scared to death over the rockpiles. I'm still trying to remember how I got through the blue transporter type doors. This might take a little while to complete ;-)

http://www.cs.pitt.edu/~alandale/dmjava/
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yep, it's one of the featured clones - the forum is huge in terms of posts so it has remained seperate on ezboard rather than be integrated here

speaking of which, there is a mention for a new dungeon in the announcement section if anyone is interested
ETFC Neil

FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by ETFC Neil »

I'm on level one and I have noticed that there seems to be a rather low shortage of screamers for foodstuff. I work and save regularly, but I am beginning to wonder how I am going to last to the end of the level as I know there are a lot of rockpiles and mummies still to go. How did everyone else cope with this? I have eaten only screamer slices and I wondered if the drumsticks and such were going to be much more filling for my party. If things get bad I may have to send in a new party and go through the lot again at breakneck speed!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

DM JAva's engine can be slightly more unforgiving of the casual DMer - you could always add a few more foodstuffs as conscience allows at the start

DM JAVA

Post by Guest »

:evil: I played DM JAVA and it sucked! It's way to hard!! I've been playing DM since I was 11, I'm 29 now, I should be able to get past the first level!! I say forget DM JAVA, play something else! What a waste of time, and space in your hard drive!!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I agree. You should be able to get passed the first level - what's wrong with you?
The environment DM Java was created under was for the people who had played the original to death. So the default dungeon is designed to be incredibly challenging, as DM used to be when we were all 11 or whever and playing it for the first time.

There is the original and CSB dungeons available too, which aren't much harder than the normal counterparts. It also has many new features, such as new spells, some twists on monster behaviour, etc. Alandale worked VERY hard to produce it, and everyone should at least try it before dismissing it.
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

And the guy calls himself a DM'er... you would think that a guy that plays since he was 11 would have some basic grasp of tactics by now... DMJava is a great chalenge
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

Yeah! What you guys said! I admit, I'm no true DMer and I failed to get anywhere in DMJava, though I have beaten DM2 many times. I DO plan on being a true DMer in the future by playing the SNES version of DM. If you suck at DMJava, download an easier dungeon, or play something else! Heck, make your own!
jhice (guest)

Post by jhice (guest) »

Hi,

Just played Java DM and find it nice, but got a trouble with poison... The VI BRO potion doesnt seem to work. I read on another topic that there was a hint with this.

Can you tell me more ?

Thanks.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

VI BRO does work, but instead of an instant cure, it only cures a certain amount of points. Each time you get poisoned you are being inflicted with a certain number of points of poisoning. It can make certain situations such as ambush by rock monsters in the early stages fatal, or at least very uncomfortable.

Just keep chugging them, and get out of the way of the critters!
jhice
Neophyte

Post by jhice »

Okay, will try this, thank you.

By the way, I did program a clone of DM too, in AMOS Basic on Amiga in 1990's, will put a topic with screenshots soon ! No monsters just the maze...
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

Looking forward for your post, mate :) any new dungeons are most welcome
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I just wanted to say that I tried DMJava properly for the first time and I think its absolutley sweet. The engine is very nicley done and the editor is an inspiration.

RTC:CF will almost certainly use a similar formula now ;) - yes it is still going.
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

RTC:CF ?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Chaos Forge.. the editor he's making for RTC
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

lol momentary lapse, sorry :)
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

:) I was doing some coding on it over the weekend, have another project (that is a non-hobby one) on as well at the moment so have to give that one a bit of priority.
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

lol you know that patience is a great virtue... even if we dont really agree with it... We'll wait for ya :)