What's your favourite lager?

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

What's your favourite lager?

Post by PaulH »

As we have sorta had a multi-cultural chat about things on other threads (Welsh, Scots, Welsh and Americans), I was wondering how the tastes of people around the world differ in their appreciation of finely brewed lager...

For me my favourites are Starapromen, Grolsch and Stella. And Becks.

And I can't stand Fosters Ice and Budweiser (the original Budvar is nice though)

Any thoughts?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Don't like the weak beers, don't liek beers at all but especially the weak ones.
Guiness isn't bad, but then that's not a lager. : )

What I do like is the german...gah, forget the name of it. Not a larger, just the concept of the half lemonade half larger drink. More acceptable in Germany that in UK i guess : )

Just to retain some credentials as a Scot, i don't like beer and so on and tend to go for spirits. Whiskey not so much anymore, ever since an incident in wick a few years ago...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Not a lager drinker, so can't comment on that girly stuff.... Stout, Bitter and Real Ale for me!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Girly stuff? Its stronger than the flowery tasting stuff you drink! Its an age thing. You start on cider, then alcopops, lager, bitter, ale, spirits, liver transplant...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

nah, incidents in wick involving double jack daniels and cokes come before liver transplants : )
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Come on Beo, elaborate!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It involves having huge amounts of spirits in a short time, saying to myself 'right, must stop now, i'm nicely drunk', then not remembering anythign else apart from a memory of being viloently ill while in some form of jail cell, then waking up in the house of the friend we were all staying with's parents at about 7am being told i should apologise to them, and me being 'yes, i should', then not being able to even get up til 5pm, then walking delicately around town the next night havign every bouncer making vomiting noises at me

Let this be a lesson to you all...drink is bad, ok
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I have to admit that is pretty impressive! JD has that effect though doesn't it?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I had better not recount my most embarrasing moment reagrding a whole bottle of JD, a certain lady and 2 days of alcohol poisoning that prevented me from running a training course at work.

I quite like 1664, Stella and Budvar when I *do* have the odd lager... usually only in summer.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Excellent work Gambit! Good choice of lager too in my opinion.

I remember climbing the Uni library while a little drunk and falling through a glass walkway. And climbing (yes, its always climbing!) on the speed camera outside the pub and hanging off it trying to get it to photograph me didn't go down too well either
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, i could embarrass a friend about an incident last year, aroudn abotu this time, involving a bottle and a haf bottle of jack daniels, two days of alcohol poisoning, and about two hours of vomiting and about two hours of sweating pure jackdaniels and wondering where it was coming from

JAck daniels...it's a hell of a spirit. That's why i stay on archers now. It's girly but it's very drinkable and leave no nasty hang over the next morning.

So, Gambit...certain ladies?
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Does a drunk DM fan waking up in a cell immediately start checking the walls for secret passages or a button to switch on a teleporter? And when this doesn't work stand in front of the door waving his hands about and shouting "MON FUL IR" ?

As for lager, Becks is the best, and I find 1664 most agreeable. Stella is reasurringly overrated.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

he would if he had actually remembered waking up there. I'm literally talking a couple of seconds of recall of that in an entirely blank night
You know, i oculd easily have said exactly those words...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Hey Des, a simple Zo spell works. Unless you have a skeleton key.

Stella - it is brewed in many different places and the taste can vary. I have had some pretty rank bottles.

JD rots youtr braincells, no doubt about it. After incredibly fluking the 250 pound jackpot in the snooker hall, I treated myself to a few. The hangovers it gives are truly remarkable!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Can i also recommend that mixing wine, sprits and beer and mysterious punch at parties is never, ever, EVER a good idea

Ever

Maybe we can open up the topic to any drinks of choice?

Spirits - Glenmorangie, Isle of Jura, Archers, Jack Daniels, Metz 40, stolenchia (or hoever you spell that vodka)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I don't touch JD anymore. Ever. After the last time I don't think my family have ever looked at me the same way.

G&T is a favourite. I'm not too up on other spirits. Vodka is great for non-hangovers but it's usually with a mixer so you hardly taste it. Guinness, HSB, Old Speckled Hen, Earl Grey Tea, um, mango juice?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Coke, cherry coke, cola flavoured shots.... : )

Stolenchia (however you spell it) is damn smooth vodka, bets taken straight, and most importantly veeeeeeery cold from the freezer.

Anyway, this makes it sound liek i am a huge drinker, which i really am not.!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Bloody hell, you're *still* 700 posts ahead of me! :(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

before that christmas story thread and all the surrounding discussions and fun i was on something close to the 3500 mark. Especially with that christmas story thread i've whizzed passed 3500 without ntoicing it and i'm now staring down the barrel of 4000!

Didn't i used to have a life once...i'm sure i did...

Maybe i should reply less to posts...can you set some form of autoban at 5000 so i don't waste postings? : )
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

A motorway? Why?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Haha, oh dear, bad joke...

Yeah it took me a couple of years to get to 'Adept' and a further couple of months to get to Pal Master. Usually the other way round in the game.

I like a good vodka, JD when I do not have to get up for a few days and port (yes, really)

That Hoegaarden stuff is quite nice, as is Samuel Smiths Ayengerbrau Pils, which is lethal. Brewed between 6 and 8 percent (they don't know, they just add ingrediants as feel fit).
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

I cannot believe this!
Beowuuf, i think you mean a "RADLER" ; that is lemonade with beer(HELLES)

Here we have WEIßBIER or WEIZEN, which is very foamy and you drink it out of high 0.5 litlres special glasses (more than 1 pint, but less than two ). This type of beer contains much yeast.

Then there is the ordinary HELL or HELLES, like sparkling lager, bitter and hop-flavoured.

Bavaria without beer would be like Australia without Kangaroos. We have good beer here, but i do not know if you would like it at once;
English beer tastes a bit like german beer and i got to like it after some probing, later, i even got used to GUINESS. I think it has to do with the atmossphere in pubs and stuff.

There is some other beer variants , like Pils, which you know, but there are also like a dark weißbeer , but unlike a GUINESS, it is more watery not so thick consistencied.

Once, in a chemnistry lesson at school, the teacher said that dark beer would be more fatal to your health than the other types of beer, if you got a hangover.
Don´t ask me what substance this is and why it is more often found in darker beers;
anyway , if you eat salad, you can nearly nullify bad alcohol-effects. Salad helps to get rid of this substance...
Well, actually you must drink around 350 years every day in order to kill all your braincells. So there is hope.
I drink red wine, occasionally and of course beer.
HEy paul , there is an AYINGER Bräu near where i live . Do you probably mean that one?? It sounds as if !
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Sam Smiths is a small local brewery in may parts: it sounds very much like they have probably got the recipe from near where you are.

1 pint is 0.567l!!! I have drank Bavarian beer out of a 'Stein' before. Germans make excellent lager: the names Dab, Steinlager and Dortmunder Union spring to mind (apoligies if I spelled any of that bad)

The funny chamicals, I think, are called 'cogners'.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Aha, sounds as if you drank out of a "Maßkrug" that´s most original! consists of stone or glass- some got a lid for "leaf protection", rain and flies warding ect, you know, what am i telling you!

well, to be honest, i cannot really assign these beers which you referred to, there must be plenty around!
For me, you could call them what you like, i think you spelled them perfectly right, though.
except for the Dab, which >could< be Dap :) I really do not know, because i never went to the Dortmunder region.
As for the recipe for lager: my brother wanted to become a beer-brewer- eventually changed his mind, but he made his own one day, and he said that you cannot remake a beer in different breweries. Each kettle/cauldron is unique and stuff like that..

!!Fak, i thought 1 pint was less...
But now I remember the big nice glasses!! Yeeeh!
You are right, of course you are! wow. thanks for the reminder!
so two pints or three or four is quite a difference!

About the ringing of the bell in pubs.
-- i heard of a song that is about beer and the 11 o´clock ringing to remind of someone- the maker of the beer? I can look after the song - if it helps, maybe someone knows it?
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

my fav: http://www.cybersaufen.de/bier/pils/rot ... epfle.jpeg
the only drinkable international beer is becks imho.

but coke > beer of course.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Hi Zoom,

Yeah, this thing I drank out of was a huge glass 'pot': very heavy, you could have probably knocked a whale unconscious with it.

Yes I agree with the brewing uniqueness at each site: the stuff brewed at this local brewery uses water from a deep underground Yorkshire well. Maybe they stole the name Ayingerbrau?

Also I have had Bitburger and Lowenbrau, which again are both nice and rarely seen on these shores.
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

Wow, I didn't even know there were so many kinds of beer or beer-like drinks in the world. I guess it must be a European thing. Americans tend to drink crappy beer, from what I hear. I think beer is one of the most disgusting things ever, except perhaps tequila, which is my father's favorite. Granted, I don't drink, though I'm going to be at the legal drinking age in a couple of weeks ... I intend to celebrate with a virgin daquiri, if anything at all. I'm allowed to like girly things, since I am a girl. ;)
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I have had many Daquiris in my time (Disclaimer: I am not an alcoholic(!), and anyone taking my advice on such beverages shall not pursue a legal claim against me when their kidneys fail...) as a bar nearby used to do allsorts of cocktails.

Europe has quite a beer culture, from the continental lager lovers to the rather sad English real ale freaks (they tour the country giving ale reviews). Lager must be very cold to be enjoyed at its best, preferably not American (sorry!) and of fair strength. Can't go wrong with German lager! Tequila is mindbinding stuff!
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

In a game of Pictionary, my father illustrated tequila by drawing a man with a bottle under his nose, fumes coming from the bottle to the nose, and the man's hair sticking straight up. My sister (who was probably 7 at the time) was able to guess the picture's subject. Tequila is horrible and it smells so bad.

I don't think the word "lager" is used on this side of the atlantic - I actually started reading this thread because I wasn't entirely sure what it meant except that it was in some way related to alcohol. I feel very informed now.
BloodFromStone
Expert

Post by BloodFromStone »

I guess I'm not allowed in this conversation since I don't drink. :)
*wanders back to the kiddie table*