Anyone like The Goodies?

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Des
Um Master

Anyone like The Goodies?

Post by Des »

It was my favourite TV show when I was a kid. I did love Monty Python too but I only got to watch it now and again (when my parents let me stay up) as it was on at 10.30, and we didn't have videos in them days (there were 149 of us living in a shoebox....). Not having satellite (Freeview is enough channels for me, thanks) I never saw the repeats on UK Gold, and so the two new DVDs (The Goodies At Last, and At Last A Second Helping) which I recently bought were the first time I'd seen the show for many a moon (whenever the Beeb last repeated it - I'd guess at 20+ years ago).

Yes, it hasn't aged well. Yes, a lot of it is slapstick. Yes it is grown men being very silly. Yes it does have some dodgy "racial stereotype" jokes. But I laughed like a drain at the DVDs! Although the first one contains the most famous episodes such as "Ecky Thump" and "Kitten Kong", the second disc is overall a lot better. "Radio Goodies", "The Movies" and "Bunfight at the OK Tea Rooms" are all top drawer.

Some of the episodes were quite topical (so might not register with younger people) such as the controversial Apartheid spoof "South Africa", and the punk rock satire "Punky Business". For example in "Punky Business", as the punk craze sweeps the nation, they show the news with Michael Barratt. Clad in safety pins etc. he announces (something like) "This is the [bleep!] news. The [bleep!] Prime Minister said that [bleep!] inflation was now [bleep!] 10%. The leader of the opposition in response said [bleep!] [bleep!] [bleep!] [bleep!] . That was the [bleep!] news now [bleep!] off! It then cuts to the opening of "The Sky at Night" and Patrick Moore is seen in silhouette with spiky hair. When the lights come up he is done up in full punk gear and makes a series of rude gestures to the camera. Jane Asher also appears in that episode as a critic (Graham cuts Tim's leg off to help him get off with her), and she looks absolutely gorgeous - that's a reminder of how old it is!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

it has been years since i saw it, but yup, i remember likign it as a kid - heck, i think alot of people did! (not implying it's a kids show, just that people will be younger than now : ) )

i also love the radio series they did together with david hatch, jo kendall and john cleese called 'i'm sorry i'll read that again' - very funny
Valderra
Artisan

Re: Anyone like The Goodies?

Post by Valderra »

I am not from this planet, so "The Goodies" mean nothing to me. LOL
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

graham garden, tim brooke-taylor, bill oddie, lots of silliness on tv about...god, twnety years ago or more? : )
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

they were like the prudes version of monty python, still funny though :D

goodie goodie yum yum
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

The first episode of The Goodies was shown in 1970, so they are contempories with Python. I wouldn't say they were prudish - there were actually quite frequent (but fairly mild) naughty bits, hence the 12 certificate on the DVDs, and some of there material was a little subversive. I personally think the show was unfairly rubbished as "Python for kids" because the main goal was to be funny and to entertain people of all ages. By contrast, Python at times tried so hard to be clever and different that many of their sketches are not funny at all.

For a potted history of the show, see http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A1075574
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

monty python hehehe, i like it when i see mr creosote, the fat lump =P
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

"Just one more waffer-theen meent? It's waffer theen!"
Um Master

Post by copperman »

"f*ck off, I'm full"
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

hehe, and who would have thought one little mint woud make him explode! =P
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*runs like john cleese*
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I watched Meaning of Life on DVD at Christmas for the first time in years; it really is not a patch on the more 'plotted' of their films and looks more dated in some respects, but still has some great sketches -- Mr.Creosote, Every Sperm is Sacred and Sex Education for Boys. But you know, none of that matters when you realise that people aren't wearing enough hats.
Valderra
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

"The Meaning of Life" is funy but not THAT funny.

However, "Life of Brian" is THE most funny Monty Python film ever. :lol:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

"NO-ONE is to stone ANYONE until I blow this whistle...Even if they do say Jehovah!"

"Are you the Judean People's Front?"
"F*** off! Judean People's Front... We're the People's Front of Judea!"

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy! Now f*** off!"

And many more...
:D

Holy Grail is great too...anyone seen the Japanese scenes on the DVD? Fantastic :D. Oh, and the Lego Camelot song :D.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

As someone who did latin, that whole 'now don't do it again!' bit was funny
man, that is a great film!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Life of Brian is easily the best comedy film ever made. I never tire of it. And having been brought up as a Catholic, that's saying something!

Lego Camelot -- fab stuff. If you like that you should check out the animators site, some great new spider man ones on there: http://www.spiteyourface.com/
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I did go on a Lego movie site before once, it had 2001 done in Lego which was fairly amusing, though at the time I hadn't seen the film. It was probably this site...I'm having a look now though :).
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, that's the site -- their stuff goes way back. In fact they now have higher quality versions of some of their earlier stuff. The 2001 parody will make no sense if you've not seen the original Stanley Kubrick film (although many will argue the original doesn't make any sense either!)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I have seen it, now. I saw it a couple of years ago in Media at school. Yes, it's weird...My dad loves the books, but I haven't read 'em. It's kinda sad when he "kills" HAL..."Daisy, Dasiy..."
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

For more insight, read "The Lost Worlds of 2001" by Arthur Clarke which gives a greater understanding of what Kubrick and Clarke were trying to achieve.

But anyway, yeah, I remember the Goodies vaguely. Couldn't tell you any of their material though; my brain's a little rusty.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

And let's not forget the fact that thye also voiced bananaman! When eric eats a banana, an amazing transformation occurs...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah I used to watch that :D. He'd fly around the Earth and do a kind of swimming-in-mid-air-with-cheesy-grin thing, then disappear around behind the planet again...
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Regarding English TV shows, I really loved KYTV ! I wish I could see that show once more, although it may not be as good as it was for me back then...
Anybody remember ?
Valderra
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

Florent wrote:Anybody remember ?
Nope... I do remember that it was on TV but never watched it.

And two of the funniest memories I have of "Life of Brian" are:

where Brian was writing "Romans go home" on the wall and John Cleese as a Roman came along and tought him how to write it in proper Latin. LOL

And the other one was where Michael Palin was bouncing along, telling everyone that "there he was, minding his own business, when along came Jesus, healed him, and took away his livelihood." LOL :lol:

Here is a site, which has the songs' lyrics: http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Script ... yrics.html
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I think one of the most famous exchanges in that film is the conversation about "What have the Romans ever done for us?"...I dunno if there's another bit that's more well-known. It's all fantastic though :D.

"He said 'blessed are the cheese makers'!"

"I'm Brian and so's my wife!"

"There's no pleasing some people..."
"That's just what Jesus said, sir!"

"From now on, I want you all to call me Loretta."

"What do you find so amusing when I mention my fwiend, Biggus Dickus?"

Arrrghh stop stop...
:roll:
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

"We found this spoon!"

"Yes! We are all individual!"
- "(I'm not)"

"(Whole crowd) )OOOOOOOOOOOH, that was never a minute!" etc

etc
Valderra
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

Ameena wrote:I think one of the most famous exchanges in that film is the conversation about "What have the Romans ever done for us?"...I dunno if there's another bit that's more well-known. It's all fantastic though :D.

"He said 'blessed are the cheese makers'!"

"I'm Brian and so's my wife!"

"There's no pleasing some people..."
"That's just what Jesus said, sir!"

"From now on, I want you all to call me Loretta."

"What do you find so amusing when I mention my fwiend, Biggus Dickus?"

Arrrghh stop stop...
:roll:

hahahaha.... I love it. :lol: Biggus Dickus. LOL

Have a look at this: http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/brian/brian-08.htm

And here is a list of more or less everything: http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/brian/brian.htm
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*sneaky look* he hath a wife you know...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

"You lucky bastard!"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

LOL, completely forgot about that

"would i wouldn't give to be a spat at inna face!"