Serenity trailer

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Serenity trailer

Post by beowuuf »

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal ... large.html

Humina humina humina humina

Please go see the film in September, or else God will kill a puppy...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ooh, missed this one... looks a lot of fun.

I haven't watched Firefly at all -- should I watch it before seeing the film, or is the film just a condensed version of the series?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The film will be new, set after the series, but apparently designed to hook new people in too, so you could just watch the film. Many people have seen advanced screenings and haven't contradicted this

I say watch the DVDs first, but then I would : ) It may take a bit to get in to, but it is worth it, its a great ensemble show. The pilot episode is maybe slow but enjoyable if you go back and watch it again. The best epsiodes are defintitely Out of Gas, Our Mrs Reynolds, War Stories or Objects in Space. The first two are stand alone, the last two are possibly better watched when you get to know the characters better
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Whoa, 10 minutes of full screen streaming video. Awesome!

http://video.vividas.com/CDN1/3929_Sere ... index.html
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, a friend linked me to it, sayign he didn't know how they did it but full screen no jerking on his machine

I feel embarrassed thsi wasn't me

WATCH THE FILM PEOPLE!
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

oooh, i like it :) must watch it too
Immortal Dungeoneer.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Jonathan Ross in Film 2005 (or whatever its called these days) thought it was great...

Whether that means it is, or not, is of course open to question :wink:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, saw that review, he really raved over it didn't he
Eh, I don't care, I hope more people go to see it
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Bum, bum, bum. I left it too late. It's gone from our local cinemas and I missed it.

Now I'm sad. :cry:
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

you know those tense shows/movies from way back when.. the black and white ones where in that moment of scary discoveries.. the little tune of dread..

BUM BUM BUUUUUM!

that's how I read that.. :)

yeah.. off topic.. but thought it was amusing... kinda... :shock:

er...
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Or the sound when something unfortunate happens to a cartoon character. :D

Hey, if it's from the guy who created "Buffy," it's got to be good, right? :roll: :lol:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Off topic, in my thread....that will cost you... BUM BUM BUM... ummm, I forgot my point

Oh yeah, DVD will be out for buying/renting soon enough I believe...I was sad enough to have a date but I have forgotten it - think it was around christmas. Anyway, best to watch the series first to get full enjoyment from the film!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Currently looking on eBay for a good price for Firefly... prolly makes more sense to do this way after all...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

HMV had cheap copies in the run up to Serenity - you should check them out...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Didn't notice Sophia's reply - yes it is, and yes it is good dammit! *foam*
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, I saw it in HMV for 17.99, but thought I might get it even cheaper on eBay. No such luck -- although the DVDs are cheaper on a few auctions, people are chargin £3 or £4 postage which is a rip off!

I'll get it from HMV.
JCG
Mon Master

Post by JCG »

CDN$ 27.27 in Canada. Not better, not worse :?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Depends on the shipping, but that's cheaper than here for the basic boxed set! I love region 1 DVDs, the cheap DVD player that let me play them (still in Aberdeen) and the lovely little fox icon that lets me play them with impunity on my computer : )

I got Firefly, Wonderfalls and Miracles all in region 1 (last two can't get here, and Miracles was from Canada, and first once cause, you know, itt was out sooner in America!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Bought it in HMV and just finished watching the first episode. Not massively impressed so far (although the ambassador is mighty fine), but has piqued my interest enough to keep going. I hope it's not a bad purchase...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You have to let it wash over you...keep going!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

3 episodes down and I'm getting interested.... nice.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

OK, what with being ill and having time off work I'm now 8 episodes down! Can't believe I've watched more than half of the total ever made!

It's actually getting interesting. One forgets how long it can take to get into a new series. I think the whole 'western in space' is a great idea and works very well; even the music which is pretty cheesy and dinkly for my taste actually works too.

I'm already annoyed that it'll soon be all watched and there won't be anywhere else to go -- except for the movie DVD of course...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Whew Gmabit, you had me worried as the first 'meh' say-er. Part of what makes it good are the charatcers, and really you have to keep on with a series to start loving the charatcers as charatcers and ignoring the fact you are watchign a series. The weird thigns like 'western in space' 'speaking chinese' might take people out of the show at first... but it's worth getting in to!

And some of the last ones such as war stories and onjcts in space are really good, though 'out of gas' has to be one of the best (and our mrs reynolds is a personal favourite)

And I totally missed your comment a few days ago or I owuld have enthused more at the time : )
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hope you feel better - you know, once you've watched the rest ; )
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, the last one I watched was "out of gas", but I missed a key piece of dialogue that explained how the others returned! Need to watch those last couple of scenes again to allay my "contrived" fears.... it was a good "background" episode too -- love the way we meet Kaylee and how she got the job ;)

"Our Mr. Reynolds" was ace -- she certainly had me fooled to start! Looked a lot better in the leather bodice at the end though!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Basically he didn't make it to the button in time, but Zoe recovered and ordered her shuttle to turn around, and I think Inara did the same in the other shuttle - or essentially they all decided bollocks to it, and returned, so he wasn't alone. It was nice.
Yeah, out of gas is great, but really if you like the charatcers and know them and stuff.

I love our mrs reynlolds, as 1) hysterical, then b) sexy, then c) just when you think it is going all preachy it twists 180 degrees.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I have just finished watching the remainder of the series and I have to say I'm very disappointed.... that it's the end of a fine show. What were Fox thinking? This was an excellent series!

I'm really sad that just as I was learning more about the characters and getting into them as an ensemble, the series came to an end. I have reversed my initial opinions and feel that it was actually an excellent series.

The characters were really good, lots of nuances and different humour to play with. Sets were ace, the special effects were just right and not overly done, and the music set off the series really well. The music at the end of "The Message" was especially poignant and got me tearful, and it's very rare that a main-stream series TV manages to do that for me.

I don't understand how Enterprise managed to get four series before being cancelled -- Firefly is a far superior product in every way. Looking forward to getting the DVD of Serenity the film now - I need another fix!

--------
"He's spry for a dead guy."
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The problem is of course the film is not going to satisfy you and finish/enhance the series... it's a motion picture and as such has to be stand alone, in a way, and has needs etc in terms of story. Like it, but be prepared to need to watch it, come away from it, then watch it again...or somehting!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

My best friend practically forced me to watch Serenity in the cinema with her. She saw it without knowing Firefly first and loved it immdediately, so we went there together. I was very impressed as well and have seen the first four episodes of Firefly so far. I totally agree with you Gambit, it is a real shame that this series was cancelled. I never liked Buffy or Angel (which is why I always ignored Firefly before), but I have to say that this is a very fine series!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It's a much better expereince having watched Firefly first, as I'm sure you will agree with foresight, right Trant?