Boots of speed

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
nikki sixx 215
Novice

Boots of speed

Post by nikki sixx 215 »

Be honest... did anyone find all 4 pairs without cheating and looking at the maps, I've completed DM many times but I've only JUST realised that there is in fact 4 sets of these boots... (thanks to the maps on this site). they are now my favorite items in the game, THE SPEED THEY GIVE YOU! if you hold down the forward key (number 8 on the keypad) you can literally move about 20 spaces in about 2 secs, it's almost too fast to control and you end up banging into walls or falling down pits, they only work though if all your characters have them on and if your characters are not weighed down with heavy items... very hard to find all 4 pairs though...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

It was exactly the fact that you could run round at such great speed and bang into walls which allowed me to find them all... And reloading with a certain key.
nikki sixx 215
Novice

Post by nikki sixx 215 »

Turquoise key by any chance? Damn hard to find all 4 boots haha, hats off to the guy who found them without any help...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think that the ones on level 11 I had to cheat to find...just such an odd place to put an illusionary wall! Plus you start getting hyped up at the stairs and don't look around : )

Boots of speed are actually annoying for dungeon designers - you can infact run faster than pit trap triggers, I found : )
nikki sixx 215
Novice

Post by nikki sixx 215 »

the boots on level 11 are the most well hidden item in the game hands down...

I was playing around in the dungeons and I found that if you're wearing the boots of speed in a big open space you can infact thow an item... run past it, then turn around and wait untill it hits you, I've also found silly things like on level 4 ((3)the worm level with the screamer room) at the start where it says 'don't let a closed door stop you' you dont need to press the button on the wall to get through the door, you can just run super fast before it closes... and yes I DID go all the way back up there haha
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Yes that pair of boots on level 11 is really hard to find, I actually just "ran" into them a few months ago when playing DM on CSBWin... All those years I played DM on the Amiga and then on the PC with WinUAE, and I had never found them before !
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I only found them via CSBuild. I beat the game 25 times or so, but the only ones I ever found were the ones in level 12 and level 7. If I remember correctly, I read something about "everyone in my party having boots of speed" or so in a topic here in the forum, so I wondered... It would be rather pointless NOT putting 4 pairs of the boots in the game, right? So I looked into CSBuild, and voilà - two pairs in level 10 and 11 I never found before.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Eh, I could find the level 10 ones as I was paranoidly checking for secrets...like I say, the level 11 ones are just as sneaky