all 4 gents... ARCHMASTER EVERYTHING!

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
nikki sixx 215
Novice

all 4 gents... ARCHMASTER EVERYTHING!

Post by nikki sixx 215 »

...I don't care if it takes me 17 years I'm doing it! I've been playing this game since it came out and I've only ever been an archmaster wizard, I just killed the dragon with my bare fist and I'm feeling tough! so far all my characters are 1st, 2nd or 3rd degree masters of everything, anyone wanna race to archmaster everything? I'm going to have the toughest team in the history of Dungeon Master then I'm going to take them to CSB, I've never completed CSB... it intimedates me.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

CSB is intimidating to EVERYONE, I think, even those who have already finished it :). It's weird, confusing, huge, labyrinthine, and full of nasty mobs, but perseverence (otherwise known as randomly charging around killing things until you find something new ;)) will get you through it, I'm sure :).
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

a little HINT:
The further you descent into the dungeon the more experience everything gives you! So training at level one is not as effective as training in, say level 5!!
Taining at the area where the dragon is, should get the fastest results; if you do not kill it! --* Monsters give exp, too!
I would not totally max your characters out in DM. leave one or two levels spare, so you can level up in csback! How you like do so!
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

train next to a flame in lord chaos' lair, this will give the most experience. i advise fireshields ;)
nikki sixx 215
Novice

Post by nikki sixx 215 »

yeah that's what I've been doing, training next to the flames with a fire sheild then going down to punch the dragon... I didn't mean to kill him but I did, I must admit I felt quite guilty when he died, my heros all have around 650+ health points now though... getting there
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If you ever play Conflux II with a single character, the experience modifiers are now such that you can get really, really strong characters... I got Leif to deep master everythign from a stanging start, amost 900 health, and 250 mana...
nikki sixx 215
Novice

Post by nikki sixx 215 »

what's conflux ll? I've not heard of that...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It's a custom dungeon created by one of our board members...it's very cool : )
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

It's also very confusing and full of pit traps, scary new monsters (you should see the Screamers!), and the cause of many a death. Many, many deaths...
Although the hints in the Hint Oracle are cool ;) (whistles innocently)
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I was once determined of getting to Archmaster in everything back when I played on my Amiga, but it was just taking too long, so I stopped that. I would be indeed very impressed if you'd manage it.

And Conflux II is something you shouldn't play until you finish CSB and are not intimidated by it anymore, because Conflux II is far more evil than CSB... It is absolutely brilliant, but huge, confusing, and very difficult - even more than CSB.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Nah, Conflux II has harder fights at the start as you are a wimp, but I think the overall lay out is sensible and doesn't punish you that much ... whereas CSB has some nightmarishly weird areas *cough DDD* to puzzle out...
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Hm, you might be right Beo. Maybe my memories of CSB have waned over the years... And I have to admit I used a walkthrough the first time I played (hey, I was 12 and everybody said it would be hard as hell! I was YOUNG AND SCARED AND NEEDED THE MONEY!!! ...well...nevermind...).

Maybe it's the size of Conflux II or the many deaths I died there, especially in the beginning... Anyway, I think we can safely say that Conflux II is a great dungeon and a serious challenge to everyone.
nikki sixx 215
Novice

Post by nikki sixx 215 »

I know DM like the back of my hand and I reckon I could complete it with one champion with my eyes closed lol, but for some reason I just think CSB will be a bugger for me to complete... the thing I like least about DM is the teleporters, pits and stairwells... CSB seems to be completely made up of teleporters, pits and stairwells haha, I really like the whole idea of making it through a level to get to the level below, I've played around in choas but it's just really really confusing?!? is it as big as dungeon master? I really should give it another chance... do a lot of people dislike CSB?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Yes, CSB is really confusing. When you choose a way at the Junction of the Ways, you get teleported to one of three different levels without noticing it, and there is more stuff like that in the game. CSB is actually smaller than DM, it only has 10 levels compared to the 14 of DM, but there is a lot more to do in CSB. There is a lot of running around in DM without actually doing something; such parts are almost non-existent in CSB. You either have all hands full of work or go up 2 stairways in a row before you get to the next difficult task. It is a very intense experience, and design-wise, it is actually more impressive than DM.

As far as I know, few people dislike CSB - most are impressed by how masterful it is crafted and a bit intimidated by its difficulty and degree of confusion. You have to be prepared to lose your way often and get stuck a few times, but you will be rewarded with some of the best dungeon-design ever. If you get used to it a bit, you can find your way around since the game isn't very big and you usually keep to one quarter of the game at a time...
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Training characters is boring and only to be done early in a game when you go for the reincarnation option IMHO. I strongly agree with Trantor that CSB is much more exciting and challenging than the original DM. Conflux 2 is the best custom dungeon so far but there are loads of other excellent efforts. Imprisoned Again is a great choice for a less daunting dungeon, and Towers of Chaos is a delight for puzzle fiends.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I think there is something quite satisfying about training a weak character up from the start. It opens up a lot of new challenges. Though it CAN get boring sometimes. Obviously dungeon 'deepness' can be used to add a factor here.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Training characters just for the training is something I don't enjoy anymore since I did it too often. However, having weak characters in the beginning of the game does provide a lot of challenge, and training them "on the job" is a very important part of the game. This reminds me of your great "training facility" in ToC Paul - the first time I pushed that button, I died because I wanted to retreat back to the stairs... Bad idea. It was a very good twist on training rooms.
nikki sixx 215
Novice

Post by nikki sixx 215 »

ok, I've decided to stop training my players and just take them in to CSB as there is hardly anything left to kill in here now and we are pretty tough now anyway. right, I need your help... how do I get my team into CSB? bare in mind I am COMPLETELY useless when it comes to computers and you'll have to take me through this in baby steps haha... right now I can't even figure out how to get the basic CSB players out of the prison and into the dungeon, I'm using CBSwindowsLINUX96... the one with DM and CSB and the demo of CSB, is it even possible to take my DM team into CSB with this program?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There is soemthing satisfying about bringing a charatcer up from the start by piting them against harder tasks, not just trainign them against a wall or in controlled circumstances - that's why Conflux II is great, it gives you weak characters and strong monsters, so you don't get a nice easy start, you have a challenge to push against from the start - then you manage to gain a little power to battle well...then it's on to the harder challenge..all the time scrounging for flasks and weapons etc
Makes it more satisfying when you come back later and blow the lower monsters away, and raises you game for the tougher challenges!

You need to save the game, restart CSB, and instead of clicking 'dungeon' click 'utility' - then select the saved game, and your party will be transfered to a new saved game. Restart CSBwin again, select dungeon, saved game, and yyou will now be dumped right in the middle of a world of hurt!
However, you will need to have played DM under CSBwin - if not, it gets much more complex...
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Beo, don't you need to click on "make new adventure" on the utility disk? So, you select "utility", choose your savegame, and you will be brought to a little editor where you can change the portraits of your characters. On that screen, select "make new adventure" and then select a savegame slot.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, you may just have to do that...
nikki sixx 215
Novice

Post by nikki sixx 215 »

I decided to try my luck at Conflux II, damn... it's tough, I'm doing it with one person too, I've died about 75 times so far and I still don't have a clue what I'm doing... I must admit I like this a lot more than CSB for some reason, I like all the new stuff... one question where are all the spells??? I need my fireballs! plus I can't find a single flask... genius game though.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Hehe, Conflux is the master of all custom dungeons. Finding a flask is a huge achievement in Conflux and will definitely take some time. And the spells are different on purpose so you have to earn them again. This dungeon is meant to feel like something totally new where most of your DM knowledge won't help you. Good luck with it!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

75 times ! i admire your patience...
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I died a lot more in Conflux meanwhile...though I did already "finish" it, if this term is appropriate for that dungeon.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

1 character reincarnated is good, amazing how it doens't hold you back as much as you'd think! I found my powerful character was very helpful by the end, compared to a four party team...

And lol, the phrase 'finish' is nevre appropriate in Conflux !
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I know Beo, I just wanted to say "I have seen a lot of it, including several endings." :wink:
nikki sixx 215
Novice

Post by nikki sixx 215 »

I got the damn flasks, HA! this game is a vision of hell, stupid scorpion that won't die! stupid skeleton thing that guards chests and won't die, stupid dancing mummy and devil things that WON'T DIE!E!!!JK!IU!KJ!!!!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

LOL, they do die, don't worry. Eventually. You know, after a while. Maybe.
Eh, don't the rats seem so cute and harmless after you've gone down to further levels? It's like /'aww, it's the cellar rats *tickle tickle tickle* cute lil things....
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Lol Beo, that's actually right. And not all of the mentioned monsters will die - at least one of them won't, but the game tells you which one it is.