[Done for V0.38] NON-MAGIC in-game areas

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

[Done for V0.38] NON-MAGIC in-game areas

Post by Adamo »

hi there. I want to make (in my custom RTC game) special "non-magical" areas (or levels), where any magic spells DOESN`T WORK. :x
I mean: mage or priest couldn`t cast any spell on this area. Monsters, of course, could cast their spells there.

For example: before You enter that special area (or level) You have to prepare a lot of potions, or devensive spells (like party shields), for Your party, because inside "non-magical areas" You would not do it.

What do You think about this? It would be usefull when making a custom game. For a player, explorating that area would be harder, than normal ("magical") area.
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You could have runes set and ban those items from those areas - EOTB 2 had a similar (small) area like this where you had to give up magic items, I beleive
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You can already do this using the DAMAGE tile -- set it to reduce Mana and place them all over the area you want to effect. It's not perfect because mana will regenerate if you stay still, but if you move around, it'll set the mana back to zero for each tile you step on.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Yeah, but I would like an option in RTC to prevent casting spells on some area/level. I don`t think it would be a big thing for George, in the next RTC edition...
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Gambit's suggestion is quite neat actually and would get you what you want without any further dungeon objects. You could even get around the non-movement thing by having a relay to activate the damage tiles every few seconds.

Of course, this wouldn't prevent you from casting the runes before entering the area and then casting the spell once you're in it, but you'd only get to do that once and then you'd be stuck with no magic.
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

how about adding a clear current runes floor tile :D
Don't be scene or herd!

Post by Guest »

What about the idea that you have to deposit your spellbook to enter that special area? In this case you won't be able to cast any spell, regardless of the mana and the runes you may already have cast. After cmpleting the area, simply pick up your book again.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Excellent idea! Never thought of that.

Having said that, it does raise an issue that I brought up way back when we were discussing how the spell book might work: it's a bit daft that the champions can't remember or cast spells if they don't have the spell book -- they are supposed to be powerful wizards! Anyway, let's not get in to all that again... ;-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*sniff* that's what I mean by banning magical items in that area...I'm so misunderstood

And I wrote in...umm, somewhere...exactly why champions might not be able to cast spells if they don't have the spellbook...

Wait, I'll find it....

"In areas of high magic, those with the gift of mana can feel the fluctuations of the world, such is the power in these places. The rising and falling of armies, the flight of the bird and the flowing of the tides almost crystalise in the air to those who can see it. However, these areas are most susceptable to the fluctuations, and those wishing to command the infuences here will need to possess a Living Spellbook. This spellbook can catch the essence of any influence whose rune is inscribed onto its pages. A mage can then glance at these pages before casting a spell to synchronise his mind with the world around him. Be warned, in such areas this spellbook is the mage's anchor, without it he is likely to lose the ability to invoke those influences once so familiar"

Basically, if you are in a sensitive area, they need to explicitly 'know' the rune, not just think FUL and have a vague idea of fire, but be able to invisiage the essence perfectly or else it can't be cast successfully. Sound plausable?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh, go on then.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Done for V0.38