My DM Comic

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

My DM Comic

Post by Ameena »

Well, I drew both the first and second parts and was gonna wait till I'd coloured both before uploading, but meh, I couldn't be arsed to wait so just to show you that I HAVE been doing something creative these past few days, here's part one...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/A ... trip01.jpg

Yes, I know the corridor changes shape but I couldn't be arsed to change it. Yes I know my attempt at doing the shading is pants but I couldn't be arsed to try and do it in a decent way. Yes, I know I said I was gonna do crappy stick figures in Paintbrush or something but it's sooooooo much easier to draw with a pen than a mouse, and then of course I just HAD to colour it in Photoshop, and 'cause I'm such a perfectionist every little bit of line has to be right and people will probably only look at each frame for, like, two seconds so won't notice anyway. Yes, I know that last sentence was very long but meh. Yes, I know bog all has happened in the strip so far and not much more happens in part two, but again, meh. If anyone likes it I'll do more. If no-one likes it I might do more anyway.
All images were hand-drawn by me (yes, obviously I copied from original sources to get various drawn bits and colours right, and in some cases the hand-drawn stuff was so pants I went over it again in Photoshop, but you get the idea - it's all by me with no copy/pasting). I like my mirrors - I think they came out pretty well :).
Part two will be incoming in a couple of days, I expect...I've only finished the first frame of it but these will take less time than the first three frames of strip one 'cause they don't have all the little details that I spent ages on in the first strip ;).
Okay, waffle over. Comments, anyone? ;).
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

im still very curious how this will turn out :) , guess ill be waiting until you do some more, i love the coloring in though ^^
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'd comment but would you be arsed reading it? : P

I liek the corridors, very cool, and yes, you are right, the mirrors have turned out cool too. Interesting to see what comes next then...
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I like it! Looks good so far, with nice colours and shadowing. I wonder which direction this will take - will it be a comic narration of the game, or will it drift off into parody?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

That's something I forgot to say last night...yes, that is meant to be the DM dungeon (I even loaded RTC and walked around the HoC to draw images of the actual corridor leading to Hissssa's portrait). However, I decided soon afterwards that setting my comic in the DM dungeon would be rather restrictive on anything I might want to do. So after this, it's just gonna be some random dungeon which leaves me open to do whatever the smeg I want :twisted:. If anyone comes up with any fantastic ideas then let me know but at least the first few strips will be easy since I can waste a lot of framespace with "Who am I? Eek! Who are YOU!" kind of discussions :D.
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Help, ET is in DM!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

lol how do you mean?
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

That lizard looks like ET!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Rofl does she? I'd not noticed...well you'll naturally be seeing more of her in strip two...and beyond it of course. Her head is probably gonna change shape a bit each time till I get something I'm happy with - I've not had much practice drawing reptiles so I'm kinda making it up as I go and trying to base it on an Iksar (a race in EQ).
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Actually, it looks like me after the party I went to on Saturday night.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

some of how I draw, just for you Ameena!

Maybe something you can adapt from it to continue to develop your own style.

looking cool so far :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ooh, lizardy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, when I finish colouring strip two, you can see what I've done to Ameena so far...she doesn't look too bad I suppose...I did notice that converting it from a .psd to a .jpeg in order to upload it changed a couple of the colours slightly so she's become a darker green than coloured in the original .psd version. But I couldn't be arsed to change it :P.
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Okay, strip two is finally done! Remember that I drew this right after I drew the first strip, then scanned in both of them for colouring. Shortly after starting to draw the second strip, or thereabouts, I decided that having my comic story occur in the DM dungeon would restrict what I could do with it. So from about the point Ameena has walked away from her mirror, it's no longer the DM dungeon. Now I can do whatever I like, muahahahahaha...so I can add in different characters and mobs and stuff to make it go where I want rather than having to have the DM dungeon in order.
Also, you can see what Ameena properly looks like now. I think of the frames here, she looks the best in the second one...so just pretend she looks that good in all the others ;). Oh, and while I'm not too bad at drawing heads and maybe hands, the rest of a humanoid body, especially legs, are crap for me so don't expect too many waist-down shots that aren't conveniently blocked off by scenery and mobs and stuff ;).
So here's strip two...
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/A ... trip02.jpg
And strip three will be along...erm...eventually...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, I like the first box - everyone's had mornings like that waking up!
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

if i was the one who heard the noise if just end up blasting everything around me, or unsheathing a sword and slashing everywhere :P
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Part three is up!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/A ... trip03.jpg

What do you think of how the new person came out? I'm not saying who it is - go see for yourself :P.
Unless of course your computer blows up every time you try to access an online link thingy or whatever it was :roll:...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Cool, I was right I was right, and the new character has turned out really nicely indeed! Though I think I can see the subtle influence

"Who you are?"
- "Symba. I mean...I don't remember..." : )

I also like the last frame - nice expression and interraction
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ha. Ha. It's spelt "Simba" and no, I didn't take my references from there :P. I took them from Balto. Haha. Wazzok.
I'm not really sure how I'm gonna do strip four. I know what things I'd like to happen next, but I'm not quite sure yet how to do the dialogue and fit it into the frames appropriately. I also plan to take up lots of paper space in a notepad with some practice of full-body views of them in various poses. I know what their lower halves are gonna look like, I just haven't really tried drawing them yet. So the fourth strip may be a while.
Oh, and also, that's as many characters as I plan on having in it atm...to have any more than two of them in it just seems too complicated as not only would I have to come up with stuff for those other characters to do (much easier when you're writing it in a story!), I'd have to be arsed to draw them too, and arrgh too complicated. But as I've left the story open by doing it in a random dungeon, I can have them run into someone else later if I want :D.
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

Awwww, Hissssa looks so innocent.
This comic has definately got a certain charm to it, Im looking forward to seeing the DM related in-jokes! Good stuff Ameena.
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

hehe, first, thats ameena, only reincarnated from hissssa :P

second, beo looks like a huggable toy, kyoot ^^
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol well it's not actually Beo...don't worry they'll remember their names eventually. Mind you if you know anything about me you should already know both their names ;).
Oh and yeah he was meant to be cute so thanks :).
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

oh, fippy is a male? ooops

moo
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

that i never knew either, i just thought it was beo without his ankh and accessories, but then again, duh, not red eyes...

Where exactly am i gonna come from then i wonder?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol...can tell you never read my DM story - both of them are in there ;). Mind you, my DM story used all four of my usual DM party. Atm I'm not adding in any more characters to the strip as not only would I have to come up with stuff for them to do (much easier to fit into a paragraph of text than eight frames on an A4 sheet!), but I'd have to be arsed to draw them in their various poses etc. But as I've left it open by placing the story in a random dungeon rather than, as I originally planned, the DM dungeon, I can have new characters come in if I want. I hadn't planned on having characters from the forums in there...after all, you don't walk around the dungeon and suddenly run into a big, blueish happy friendly dragon or a giant snail with a moustache now do yo? :). Well, maybe in someone else's dungeon you might...certainly a big snail anyway.
But the Fippy-Beo thing was a coincidence. I thought Wuuf was cute before I'd even heard of Beo and since I re-incarnated him as Fippy and he and Ameena were my favourite characters, that's who've ended up starring in my comic :).
Expect pics in the strip to get even crappier now btw, as they're obviously gonna be moving around more and stuff now and since my abilities to draw that kind of anatomy well are crap then umm...blech :P.
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

hey, practice makes perfect. I think this project of yours will definitely help you improve your drawing. Reference back to the drawing I did for you. Think in terms of ovals and such.. knowing the volume of the character helps you give them depth and structure when you draw them.

good stuff! can't wait to see the next strip..

moo

(oh, and you're right I didn't read all of your DM story.. but I did read most of your riddles)
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

I like it. I wonder what's going to happen in strip 4.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well I never finished my DM story anyway...it was three sections long (I didn't give them titles or anything so they're not technically "chapters" I suppose), one per level...the last bit I wrote was them descending the stairs to level four. But writing stories was more something I did between lessons at school/college, and now of course I've finished so...
But I'll write some more riddles or whatever at some point if I get in a riddle mood...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, the charatcer names are even on the left : ) It says Ameena and fippy right there ; )
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I haven't started drawing Strip 4 yet...I was practicing drawing some Fippy for what I plan in the first frame but I haven't done any more than that...been playing some EQ these past few nights and been donig other stuff and generally forgetting the strip the rest of the time hehe. I'll get round to it eventually...