[fixed for V0.35] Monsters under Doors

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

[fixed for V0.35] Monsters under Doors

Post by Trantor »

I noticed that in RTC, monsters behave quite cowardly when caught under a closing door. They turn around immediately and retreat. In the original game, they would still stay there for a few seconds and attack you. I think this is a lot more interesting since it makes using doors as a means to kill monsters somewhat risky. As it is now, a door with a monster nearby means an easy victory with practically no risk of getting killed.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Nooooo ssshh sssh ssh...it's fun that way, ssshh if people want to kill things and get attacked at the same time then let them just not use a door ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*dm backwards sidesteppy thing*
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

It doesn't really let you use the door as a weapon, either, in combination with your other attacks-- by the time I've shut the door and gone over to click on my weapon attack icons, the monster has already fled.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Heh move your mouse quicker ;). It works fine for me :twisted:.
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

I must admit, I've found it quite fun enticing monsters under doors and waiting for another monster to block it's retreat, then close the door on it's head *sadistic grin*

The monsters do flee quite quickly though, so maybe rather than changing it for all monsters, there could be an attribute for the delay between a door closing on the monster and the monster fleeing?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Or just leave it as it is since you might WANT the monster to run away if you are low on health or whatever ;).
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

That is exactly what I am talking about Ameena - with a door nearby, monsters are no threat. But they should be in my opinion, and there should be a drawback for using a door as a means to kill monters, because doors deal a lot of damage - especially to monsters who are resistant to attacks, like Knights and Golems.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Bah just make it so people can edit that in custom dungeons but leave the basic DM and CSB as they are :D. I like to squish things, doors are my friends and they always have been :).
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

This is one of those things that in RTC, while different from DM, is better and more logical. It makes a lot more sense that a monster would run away with a hundredweight of steel dropping on it's head. I know I would!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I don't doubt it makes more sense Gambit, but I also think it makes the game less interesting. And I'd say that in a computer game, interesting gameplay is more important than logic and realism.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I agree about interesting gameplay -- that's why with GG's new behaviour, it makes you think more about how and when to use your green magic boxes...
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i must agree with gambit, i didn't use them before RTC :)
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

For what it's worth, I agree too (which is why it is like it is :wink: ).

I always thought it was daft that you could just drop doors on monsters heads and they'd take it until they died (which actually makes the gameplay less interesting). As Gambit said, this behaviour also gives a good use for the magic boxes (which I too never used when playing DM).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I am not sure if it is still liek that, my my trouble with the RTC behavious was the monster turn them run. not just backstep away (they go backwards and spin at 90 degrees) so you can start thumpign the door down , then stop so they turn back, then start thumpign the door down. Does this still happen?

Also, a monster, just liek a character, might decide rto chance his arm and see if you will back away from the attack before it does...
I think that a monster's reaction shoudl either instant retreat, or attack... maybe..
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Fixed for V0.35