DM "crashes" under Steem 3.2

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lyverbe

DM "crashes" under Steem 3.2

Post by Lyverbe »

I felt like playing a new game of DM and started Steem 3.2. Everything went fine until my entire party died for no reason on the second level.

I started again saving a memory snapshot from time to time. The last snapshot I saved was pretty close to the point where my party dies. I click the wall button, pass through the door (to which, at that moment, the floppy disk reads something), and after waiting about 6-7 seconds, my party dies. Game over.

Is this a known bug?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

No, you're using a cracked version.

Get a legitimate version of the game, and everything will be fine.

Post by Guest »

Well, I do have a legitimate version... on my ST! I'm using the emulator to play on my PC.

I got the files from http://dmweb.free.fr/ which explains how to run DM with Steem.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

This behavior is part of the copy protection of the game (see http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/210 for details). The version you are using must be badly cracked.
If you use one of the PASTI images available on the site, you should not have such problems.
Lyverbe

Post by Lyverbe »

That was a very interesting document! I didn't know DM was that well protected.

I will try another image, hoping it doesn't do the same. At least, I was only on level 2 when it happened.

Thanks!
Logales
Novice

Post by Logales »

I remember having the same problem when playing on a friends' ST. He had told me he had a special deadly feature. And I was really scared when all four characters died instantly :d