DM2 discussion

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Re: Installing DM2 (what else lol )

Post by Tzan-01 »

I'm new here, and just started playin DM2 with Dosbox and Windows XP. I too didn't have the INSTALL.EXE file, but I only copied that file from the patch folder to the game folder, then after installing I copied the rest of the patch files. For Dosbox I changed one line in the configuration file; under CPU, the Cycles=3000 line to Cycles 7200. I read that somewhere in one of these forems and it makes the speed much more normal. I've played the Atari version of DM, wore out 2 floppies, and also Chaos Strikes Back, but this is the first time I'm playing DMII. I don't even know what to ask at this point. There's these dragon/rhino looking brown monsters that won't die. I can't get into the coin box and have no idea how to use the magic map tihng. I don't like the half step at all. I like the graphics better, but I like the play of the original DM better.

Swivelrocker wrote::lol:
I have tried installing from 2 different file sources as well. One, the Czech site, and the other Old Georges' site (I think it was )...from links on the DM2 downloads page...

First I tried the instructions to a T...and it wouldn't work because the install file wasn't there.

So then I tried copying files of the patch, before I installed.

Thanks.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The rhinos have alot of health but should die to give you steaks - they are docile unless annoyed, so you can hopefully avoid them

DM2 has some quirks - you can pick out any object from a stack, you can , with enough strength, push critters out of your way. Things like coin box and chest should activate when you put them in your hand - i forget if you actually need to activate them (they appear in the action interface now, if I remember right

You can also open chests and coin boxes on the ground, in the case of jut wishing to put in items (click on the key hole)

The maps should be the same - you put them in your hand, and click on the runes to activate them 0- they drain mana (or some do). The minion map, if I remember right, will allow you to move a porter minion around
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

There's several maps - one just a boring one that shows where you are (grey), one that has four clicky buttons (one for Ku, Ros, Dain, Neta) which show umm monsters, items, spells, and erm something else I think (blue). Then there's the Scout Map (purple I think but I can't remember offhand) whicih summons a Scout Minion - this looks like a giant eyeball and you can send it places on the Scout Map to see what's ahead. Then there's the Minion Map (red). This is the cool one - place an X somewhere (there is a button to do this on the map). Then the other buttons will either make the Porter Minion start at the X, pick up everything on that square and come to you, or start at you, pick everything up, and take it to the X. If the Minion is attacked en route and killed, if it's carrying anything this is dropped wherever it died.
And as Wuffy said, if you use any of the clicky buttons on any of the maps, the mana of the map holder will slowly drop for as long as the effect is running.
And jfyi, those rhino things are called Thorn Demons. They're cool. They won't attack you unless you attack them (then they stay agroed for the rest of the game, even new ones who respawn) or get in their way.
And I think the money box works the same way as a chest - put it in the hand and it auto-opens. If not then the icon appears as though holding a weapon and you click that to open it but I really can't remember atm lol.
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

I killed the Thorn Demons with the poison spell, and they regenerate. When I first saw them they were grazing. I went around the tree to get the apple and was attacked.
I found a few arrows, a quiver and a bow, and an apple. Is that it? There has to be something other that those things? The coin box and magic map does open by clicking on their icon in their action interface. I found a green gem in a bat cave and that's about it. I know there has to be more in this area than a bow, quiver and a few arrows.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think that cave links to another, I forget if that really is a huge area you need to explore. There are certainly other, more important ones anyway!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

As far as I can remember, there's bog all in those first couple of bat caves. The stuff you need for game progression is above ground. Well, the stuff you need to progress at that stage is anyway :).
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

There is one cave that links to another. It takes you to the middle of the rhino area.

When I got to the tornado area I just decided to run into them, and I could, and they disappeared as soon as I ran through them. I couldn't believe it.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah I can't normally be arsed to kill those things so I just do the "scream and leg it" method there too ;).
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

I've decided to build up my characters by fighting anything from the begging to the Rhinos, and the little thieves. The wolves keep reproducing too fast, I don't even have time to pick up the items and they keep coming after me. I obviously need to build these people up.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Try throwing bones to the wolves...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah they seem to repop as fast as you kill 'em. Like Wuffy says, chuck bones. And leg it ;). There's not a great deal of interest in that area anyway apart from the item you need.
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

I went back to the beggiing hoping to fight the glops and digger worms to build up the ninja levels but they're not reproducing. I'll have to try throwing bones to the wolves, that gets tiresome as fast as they regenerate. They mate like rabbits.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Killing Thorn Demons is a good way to get exp - they regenerate fairly steadily, and they don't come past a certain spot in their territory. When you zone in, take a couple of steps forward so you're standing beside the two trees (one in front of you, one to the right). The Thorn Demons won't come onto the square you're standing on so you can pull them to the space to your left and kill them.
But for the wolf bit, really, you can just leg it through. Run and try to find the item you need. Chuck the bone if it helps. Do you have the Tech Shield yet? I can't remember where you get it but isn't it on the teleporter pad thing the centre of the starting town? You can use that to escape if you need to.
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

I go back occassionally and fight the Thorn Demons, but now when they hit they push me back a step or two. I fight them till it looks like one of my guys will die and then hit them with a pison spell which seems to work better on them than fireballs. I killed several axe men and sold their axes for money. I went to an area that has digger worms, floating things that attack and tornadoes. I circled around and got back to the beginning. Now I went back and I think I'm heading into a new area. I fought some digger worms, some floating things and tornados. Now I wakled through the arch and it's bright kind of cloudy yellowish color. A bit gloomy yet bright if that makes sense.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That area passed axemen and tornadoes has one of the clan keys, I believe - press on!
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

I made it through the tornadoes and axemen. Now I'm past the cemetery inside a building. I go downstairs and got some armor which none of my characters can wear yet, its heavy. Anyway, the floor upstairs keeps opening up, and I can't open the door even though I see a button. When I press the button the floor opens up and I fall down below.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Can't remember the solution to this off hand, but you do need to do this area to get one of the keys! Maybe what you think is a button is a keyhole - there uis a recess that needs a rune symbol key to open the door
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

There was another door to the right that I had to go into first. The key to the other door was in this area. There's an area on the other side of the trees where the axemen are that the map shows you can get into but there's bushes there that don't move. It's a brown area on the map.

I read somewhere in the forems about a better sequel than DMII, I think it's called Stonekeep, do you know anything about this?
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

DM2's name is stonekeep : )

There is a link above to the Dm Encyclopaedia which has lots of information about DM sequals, and also has a walk through for DM2 if you get completely stuck
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Actually, DM2's name is "The Legend of Skullkeep". Stonekeep is a different game that I never played.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, yeah, stonekeep is a totally different game, nothing to do with DM if it's the one i'm thinking of
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

Was Stonekeep by FTL? I only read that it was a true sequel to DM where DMII failed.

In DMII are there food sources once you get inside the dungeons? I'm trying to find a way into the brown area that surrounds the southwest corner of Skulkeep (according to the map). The map shows an entrance on the east side but there's trees there that block me from getting in.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There are four different areas for the four keys to get into skullkeep (not stonekeep, skullkeep, yes) so the area could be one of the others.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Stonekeep was by Interplay but I don't think it was by FTL...however it might have been but I really can't remember atm. It's a very cool game though :D.
Whether or not there's much food once you get into Skullkeep is kinda irrelevant if you've been massacring the Thorn Demons - their steaks are the equivalent of Dragon Steaks in DM/CSB so if you've spent some time killing them (and they're really not that hard, especailly once you can chuck a Mon Fireball or two at 'em :twisted:), you should have a few piles of the things.
Did you manage to get through both the doors in that room where the two pits chase you (and dump you into a set of rooms containing Wraiths)? If not, you need to do so. It's very frustrating, that bit, since the pits appear to move around the room randomly (or in circles, I can't remember) but then home in on you as soon as you enter. Just keep at it and you should get there. There are four Clan Key pieces in total and once you've obtained them all, you should have been round the full circle and thus opened the loop all the way round the outside of Skullkeep (ie so you can run either way from near the Skullkeep entrance/starting town and eventually end up back where you started).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Just found this post about the wolves:

"Kill the wolves? If you don't attack them, and then play with them by throwing the bone for them to follow (which is the simplest way of getting the stuff on the otherside of that pit--the wolves bring the stuff back when they return the bone to you), then they won't attack you."
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

I've been killing the Thorn Demons. I got the 3 tresure chests and 2 bags filled with their steaks. I don't know if that's going to be enough to go through the entire game once entering Skullkeep. I'm circling Skullkeep fighting to gain experience and to sell axes for money to equip all my characters. I did enter Skullkeep once just to see what it was like. I climbed down a ladder and killed some worms, the climbed back up but there was no way out, pits were all over the floor.

I went back to the wolf erea and threw the bone around for them, never did get the 2 coins though. I got everything but the two coins, and I do better selling the skeletons' swords and axes.

I hope to find Stonekeep and play it after I finish Skullkeep, but I don't know where to get it.

I tried playing the Atari version of DM using Steem but once the game starts there's no mouse. I hoped there was a way to convert the PC version of DM to CSB for windows since their stats are pretty good. Is there a way to do that?
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You aren't trapped in skullkeep, you can leave, aansdd more importantly if you get the tech shield you can set a teleportation point, for example the starting area with the shops.

To convert the PC game to CSBwin, you can either open it in the CSBuild editor and it does the work for you, or you can use an endian converter available in the DM Encyclopaedia tools forum that will convert the format around - CSBuild can then finish the job
Duhec
Neophyte

Post by Duhec »

I climbed down a ladder and killed some worms, the climbed back up but there was no way out, pits were all over the floor.
You must have picked Tempest.. It's a trick, you need to use newly obtained map and use the minion to bring you the sword.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Don't you get the Techshield right near the beginning of the game? If it's not on the main pad in the starting town it's by the second one you find, which I think is just outside the Axeman area (there's definitely one there but can't remember if there's one before that). If you stand on one of these pads and use the Teleport function on the Techshield, it ports you back to the pad in the main town. Stand on that pad and teleport again to be sent back to the last pad you were standing on.
And the Porter Minion is extremely useful at carting big piles of stuff (eg axes) to save you trying to lug it all around. That's the red map. I think I posted a big long waffly description of all the minion maps somewhere recently.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You nominate the teleport square by standing over it and using the shield, then you can teleport from any other square to that square

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”