ALL WE NEED IS MORE CONTROL OVER MONSTERS

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
HITMAN30
Neophyte

ALL WE NEED IS MORE CONTROL OVER MONSTERS

Post by HITMAN30 »

Hi, Youve done some great work so far George. Recently came across RTC, used to play dungeon master years ago on St and Amiga and eye of the beholder games and captive.

But do you have any plans to make monsters more controlable eg. levels of agressiveness and how much damage they can be set to do and what spells they can cast. This would give us complete control. They do this in Dungeon master java version but i dont like that version as much it has alot of bugs and they dont work on it anymore. This seems much better.

But without being able to control the monsters much it kinda limits the amount of use you can get out of them.eg. you cant reinvent them much. Only being able to control there hitpoints is not that great.

Everything else in game youve done is great though. I feel this is the main thing missing.

Thanks
HITMAN
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Hi,

Firstly, welcome to the forums - I'm glad you're enjoying the game so far.

Secondly though, all of what you suggest can already be done. The attack methods used by monsters are all configurable (this includes setting spells they can cast and the physical damage levels they do). If you mean by agressiveness, things like frequency of attacks, speed of movement distance they can detect and hunt you down...that can all be done too. :D
HITMAN30
Neophyte

THANKS I SEE IT NOW

Post by HITMAN30 »

Thanks I missed it sorry. Really nice work.
HITMAN
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

A good place to start might be just to start poking around in the editor. Load in the DM or CSB dungeon and dig around and have a look at how they work. There's an example DM2 dungeon to see some of the fancier mechanics.

<blatantplug>
You might also want to try downloading and reading my editing guide, as it has a lot of useful information for people who are getting into RTC editing.
</blatantplug>
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

So... How long do you think it will take you to write up a guide for Version 0.39?

:D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Youcould alays offer to help by listing all the new features between version 0.38 and 0.39 and poking around withthem yourself
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

I could, but I don't know how any of them really work without dedicating spare time to trial and error investigation. And that's always sloppy.

I just thought Sophia has some special inside knowledge of the RTC editing mechanics from George...

Or is she just a hell of a lot better at figuring stuff out? :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No, I mean sophia has been workign with every beta since 0.38 - so it might be nice if you highlight every new mechanic since the last one that you have seen so she doens't have to wade through her own guide and try to remember what was released, for her, five or six releases ago

Yes, she has no 'special inside knowledge' she's just practiced exactly what we all preach - you check out a cool function, you look for example in one of GG's dungeons, then play with it, and see what it does : )
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Also, that trial and error is also the way you figure out the engine in general, so you can come up wit hreally cool twisted new stuff no one wuld have seen before : ) Also, helps with the bug fixing!
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

So... How long do you think it will take you to write up a guide for Version 0.39?
:) With george moving at the speed he is between the current releases, I would kick back for a while.

@GG: Are you going to get some sleep this year? :) Amazing work tho, well done
Regards,

Andy