Can't get light floor objects to work

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos Awakes
Artisan

Can't get light floor objects to work

Post by Chaos Awakes »

How do "light" floor objects work?

In my dungeon, I have a level which has a base light level of zero (IE: totally black).

On the wall of this level, I place a DM2 lantern.
On the floor directly in front of the wall, I place a "light" floor object with it's light set to 100. This does nothing. It is still totally black all around - the light doesn't seem to cast any light at all.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I take it you have cut and pasted a DM2 wall torch and surrounding mechanics from the .txt into your dungeon and it's not working? :(
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

If it's set to "active" and the party is standing directly on it...? I have no idea.

When you started this dungeon, did you created it by editing an already-existing file or making a new dungeon file from scratch?
Chaos Awakes
Artisan

It works now!

Post by Chaos Awakes »

It does work, now that I look closer.
I was assuming that 100 light would cause the whole room to light up brightly as though a full torch was being held. In fact, with the light set to 100 it just creates strong light when you're standing on the square and a tiny bit of light when you aren't. In fact, the effect is quite sudden - it's nearly dark, you step on the square, it's really bright!

To get the effect I wanted, where the room is brightly lit and you just gently fade to darkness as you walk away down the corridor, I had to use a light level of 400 and put 3 lights in the room.