word search problem. too large a load on the server

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

word search problem. too large a load on the server

Post by cowsmanaut »

ZPC told me there were complaints from the provider that the database word search was taking too much of a load. He suggested this.

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=30

but my brain isn't big enough to comprhend it at this moment in time and so I'm putting out there to the rest of you. If someone who knows what it's about and is willing to help make the changes.

please remember, though I pay the bills.. I still prefer to be the dumb artist. :)

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hmmm.... I *do* need to upgrade the forums at some point as they are quite outdated now, and this would be a good opportunity to do so.

However, I'll research this issue more thoroughly as the article you posted is 3.5 years out of date and may no longer apply.

I'm quite surprised our little forum is generating excessive server load though!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If you need help then gimme a yell, if I'm on the fourm then it's probably a safe bet I have free time. Also let me learn some of the database admin stuff too
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I think there are quite a few passive readers here, that might generate more server load than you'd think. So maybe we are soon back at an issue that had been duscussed a long while ago for ezboard: If we need a bit more cash to continue with this forum I'm sure that a couple of regulars here inlcuding me would be willing to make a small monthly contribution.

I'm suggesting this NOW because a friend of mine is hosting a similar php forum for Everquest (he was pretty surprised when he one day found out that Sony counted his site to be the official fan page). He was one of the few ISP's customers who actually used the bandwidth he paid, and they kinda deliberately inofficially made him go to some other, more expensive ISP. They suddenly repeatedly turned his stuff offline for longer periods of time and refused to do support. If our ISP is already complaining I think we should do something before similar "accidents" start to happen.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

sometimes I`m lurking here qiute intensive just to check if there are some new messages, when I`m doing something on a comp (you can call it an "addiction") ;) I didn`t know, that user`s lurking gererates such a problems !
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
_beowuuf looged out

Post by _beowuuf looged out »

Lurking users using the search function, not just lurking

And the alternative to people using the search funcion would be a whole host of posts that have already been answered.

Oh, and it would really piss me off if our intense seach traffic was actually down to spam bots using the search function to check for words or hooks or soemthing : (
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

There must be something screwy going on -- been reading up on this and there's no way a forum this size would be generating the kind of excessive load that would cause complaints.

Cows, can you get me detailed info -- such as logs, etc?

Adamo, simply lurking doesn't cause problems -- it's using the search facility that is allegedly the issue.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

"I just recieved email from the provider of hosting that your web is producing very large load to the database server, especialy the table phpbb_search_wordmatch.
I went to PHPBB.COM and did a lil research, you might consider (as well as the other administrators of d-m.com) to read and use this"

and then gave me that link
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Is this still an issue? I never instigated any solutions but have heard no further complaints?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I think how it works is he says so once.. and then something is done or isn't... so it could very well be still going on.. or it could have been an isolated incident