Activating Trigger by new Attack Method

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trakl
Journeyman

Activating Trigger by new Attack Method

Post by Trakl »

I've got a problem (ah yes?.... 8) )...

****** SPOILERS TO MY NEW DUNGEON AHEAD!! ***********

I designed a complex way to summon a fifth character in the game to help you solve some difficult situations, for example:

- Long corridor with huge fireball shooters at the end and a black door with no lock or button. The shooter is activated by any tile of the corridor. there is absolutely no chance to survive.

- on the other end of the corridor, the party can summon the spirit of a friendly mage by laying the mage's gem on the floor in front of you and using the mage's wand. The mage will appear and tell you via wall speech that he will (as being ghostly...) go to the other end, open the door and destroy the shooter. (You can actually see him walk down and hear him open the door!).
This is established by a huge chain of triggers and stuff, you can imagine.

Now the problem I have (and you see after all that cool stuff, I'm not willing to sacrifice this thing to game mechanics) is: the chain starts by activating a trigger with a newly made attack method, that activates only the specially made mage trigger, that being activated by the mage's gem.
IF the party uses the wand somewhere else the trigger is activated also. And that is a problem because then the gem will instantly having the mage appear without having to use the wand!

Do you think there is another possibility to solve this more elegantly? Problem is also the wall speeches have to be exactly near the party, otherwise you won't see it.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Why not simply have a floor trigger on the square where the party has to stand?

You can use something like a constant weight trigger, a counter, and a counter querying relay, or even just have your whole chain of events set off by this floor trigger and have your magic thingy activate this floor trigger instead, so it only happens if the trigger is both on (by putting down the gem or whatever) and the party is actually standing on it...
Trakl
Journeyman

Post by Trakl »

But intuitively the player will put down the gem on the tile before it. the problem is the use of both the wand and laying the gem down. how can I do that? What exactly does the floor trigger with constant weight do then?

Can I set up something that only activates the trigger that activates the mage ONLY if the party is standing on one tile, having laid the gem on a second tile in front of the party AND using the wand on the tile in front?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Trakl wrote:Can I set up something that only activates the trigger that activates the mage ONLY if the party is standing on one tile, having laid the gem on a second tile in front of the party AND using the wand on the tile in front?
Definitely. :)

All it requires is two constant weight floor triggers: one for where the party is supposed to stand, one for where the gem is supposed to be. Make both of these activate a counter with an initial value of 2.

Then, have the wand OBJECT_ACTIVATE a cloned relay, that queries that counter, and only executes if the value is 0.
Trakl
Journeyman

Post by Trakl »

Hmm thanks I'll try that!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Why not have the wand do a 'replace gem with copy' . This copy has a one or two second lifespan. If this new gem is created on a tile that is close to the puzzle, you have a trigger on the floor to swap the gem for the mage, and you can do all your funky stuff.

If not, then in one or two seconds the gem expires to the original version of itself

Or am I missing what you want to do?
Trakl
Journeyman

Post by Trakl »

Wow great!!!! Thanks! That's even better because I have planned more of this "fifth ghostly character" stuff! I can use that on all triggers without affecting all of them as it would be with the other setups.