Immobilizing the party

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Immobilizing the party

Post by Parallax »

I am trying to make a cutscene in a dungeon. Basically, when the party steps on a given tile, I want a series of events to happen, but they will take some time and involve various sights, as well as teleporting the party around. My problem is, I want a captive audience for this. I don't want the player to be able to walk away, or turn, or throw rotten tomatoes at my cutscene.

I can't seem to find the appropriate action for this. I'm thinking I might be able to force the entire party to take an action that does nothing and takes the entire cutscene to recover from, so they can't attack. I can make every tile where the party will be standing a no-magic tile so they won't cast, and no-sleep as well so they won't sleep through it. But how do I prevent the mouse pointer for throwing items without putting a wall in front of the party? And how do I disable the direction keys so the party does not turn or move. Teleporters that send the party back to the tile are not enough for logistical reasons, and I don't want the characters to take damage if they try to walk away into a wall. I just want them not to be able to move. Any ideas?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Hmm, the DM engine isn't really suited to cutscenes. I'm not sure there's a satisfactory answer.

It's really more in the spirit of a first-person game where you have control all the time. Could you possibly rework it that the party is observing the scene somehow, and it's set up so they CAN'T interfere-- watching the whole thing through a door, thieves eye, etc?

Otherwise, you may have to make do with teleporters that block any attempts to move or throw something. Why aren't they enough?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Have a look at the top level of the DM-II dungeon. There there is a FLOORITEM_HOLDER (to prevent the party moving) and together with some teleporters and triggers prevent the party from throwing items away from the tile.

Combine that with a few NO_SAVE / NO_SLEEP / NO_MAGIC tiles and you'll get something very close to what you're looking for.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I did this with the CSBwin engine, and dammit you can do it with RTC too : )

Just create a constantly targetting set of relays to a teleporter on the party tile that that forces north facing, (using the 'on party tile effect I would have thought) with others surroundign them so they can't move sideways etc. Move anything frm the hand to the floor (a bit of a fudge, in CSBwin it was freeze life so I assumed things would fall from your hands, so not as weird) and have the action constantly cast runes in the spell box so only a power rune at best would be cast. Obviously drop from sky any objects and spells too just incase

A slight fudge (more elegant in CSBwin with attack filters etc) but should suffice for now?
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

FLOORITEM_HOLDER! So that's what it is! (and what that mysterious flooritem is there for, incidentally. I thought it had something to do with holding items, like, in mid-air, or something... :? )

Thanks George. And thank you also to Beowuuf and Sophia, your suggestions are giving me a lot of ideas...