Cost of Fuel in USA versus Europe

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Cost of Fuel in USA versus Europe

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I was just talking with someone about the cost of owning/operating a car in the UK. She said fuel is $8 a gallon, and a license for the smallest available car is £2,000. Is that true? Licenses in the US are like $12 . . . which kind of explains why there are so many morons driving around, but still.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The license doens't cost that much (I don't believe) but it is the insurance premiums you need to pay to legally drive, espeically if you are a younger driver, that can cripple anyone driving.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I'm not quite sure Tom, but it sounds alright. Getting a driver's license here in Germany requires lots of lessons in theory and practice and will cost about 2000 € I guess. Fuel is like 1.10 to 1.30 € right now per litre. Considering one gallon is about 4.5 litres, what you heard sounds very realistic.
Last edited by Trantor on Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh yes, driving lessons are also quite expensive too :)
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

$8 a gallon is an exageration if we are to use Trantor's numbers. A gallon is 3.8L so with the euro at $1.30 it works out to $6.40 a gallon, which is about 2.5x what you'd pay in the US these days. Of course since you won't need your car to go everywhere (unlike here!) and your average european car gets much better mileage than your average american car, I wouldn't be surprised if the monthly gasoline budget for an average family on both sides of the ocean turned out about the same.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Yes, but Trantor is neglecting a small detail - Germans have a tendency of thinking that they have the most unfortunate cost for fuel in the world. Every time I'm going to UK by car I'm reminded unpleasantly that this is not true.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I wasn't necessarily neglecting that Lunever. I just assumed that the UK and Germany would have roughly equal prizes, at least compared to the US. In fact, I've heard that fuel prizes are even more expensive in the UK than here in Germany, but I suppose the difference is much smaller than the difference between either of those countries and the US.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Right, fuel is generally much more expensive anywhere in Europe than in the US. Yet, the differences within Europe are often subtle. For example I pay the same in UK as in Luxemburg - just in pence instead of in cent ;-)
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Once I manage to create a fuel bomb in DM...

:roll: Ok, I leave now.
What Is Your Quest ?
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

An Imperial (British) gallon is 4.5 litres whereas as US gallon is 3.8 litres. Fuel in the UK costs about 90p per litre, so at $2 per GBP, a US gallon is just under $7 and an imperial gallon just over $8.
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

$3.20 per gallon here. Cant even fill my tank with $20 anymore. It's really sad, that I don't have a job or any other source of income too :(.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Joined 27 Feb 2005 as Dark.
Kain
Apprentice

Post by Kain »

Back when I was driving a Neon (about 10 years ago) it cost me $10.00 to fill up and it lasted me about a week.

Now in a Caravan, $10.00 doesn't even give me a quarter tank and fuel costs me about $80.00/ week.

I think my next car will have a turbo diesel engine.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

lessons here were about 200 bucks canadian. Gas jumped to 3 digits far to fast and has kept going.. perhaps we don't need to pay as much as those of you in the UK. However, for us it has been feeling a lot like we are being screwed.

http://www.vancouvergasprices.com/
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I'm glad you split this from the Changing Man thread, guys. I was getting quite emotional over the fuel prices...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I have no idea why it even started on that thread, it had nothing to do with it in any shape or form...
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

High fuel prices encourage more fuel efficient vehicles which must be good for the planet. I am of course a hipocryte as I drive an Alfa Romeo that only does 25MPG. Fortunately these days in Euroland you can get cars that are thrifty on fuel byt still go like hot snot. For example a diesel Seat Leon FR see http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/R ... 549&page=2 - 47MPG but also 170 BHP and 0-60 in 8 seconds. I can live with that :D
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

It was based on your mention of commuting to work and public transportation in general.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh! :oops: