Game like DM(RTC version) with as much customizability

Got a favourite DM type game? Enjoy Eye of the Beholder? Adore Amberstar? Cherish Captive? Discuss these and more here!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Starfish
Novice

Game like DM(RTC version) with as much customizability

Post by Starfish »

The thing I liked most about RTC version of DM is that you could design your own character portraits and their starting stats (and no I don't abuse that) furthermore the fact that your character's skills increase based off of actions and not classes makes the character development extremely customizable. I have yet to find a game like this again except for some of the more text heavy ones like Might and Magic 1 or Wizards and Warriors 1. I haven't gone about trying to edit EOB1's portraits (if its possible let me know). But I'm sure a hex editor would take care of stat issues. Any body have any other suggestions?
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Never tried editing EoB portraits. Hex editing is mostly useless due to the fact that you can customize your characters' HP and statistics. It can be done, though, and you can hex edit your characters' experience, levels, and inventory if you're really shameless about cheating. (which I am :) ). One useful thing this can be used for is to bypass the arbitrary level limitations of non-human races. You can also use it to beef up ability scores to beyond the max of 18 (though I haven't abused this too much, since I have no idea how the game would handle a stat that's over, say 20)

Incidentally, an interesting problem that I came across in EoB 1 is that the maximum possible HP a character can have appears to be 127, likely because whatever the # of bytes that corresponds to is all they've devoted to that statistic. Once, I had leveled my character up to beyond that point through honest hard work, and the game crashed. I could never finish that game, because on all the old saves, the character was too close to the next level to be able to finish without that fatal increase in HP. EoB 2 fixed this problem.

Marco.
Starfish
Novice

Post by Starfish »

I love hex editing! I've done some palette hacking and even some graphics hacking on old atari games using hex. I've also done statistics hexing as well. Hacking a graphic though unless its completely raw requires the knowledge of what compression it is and then translating back and forth. Its easier to view the images then to actually change them, but I can try messing around with EOB or LOL because I've wanted to play both of those but didn't like the lack of customisability of the characters. I still prefer the skill based aspect of DM which I have yet to find in anything other then roguelikes.

EDIT: I was checking out EOB info and I found this:

http://eob.wikispaces.com/eob.cps

Now I know a bit about compression and I understand the basic principal its stating, so I may be able to actually do some portrait editing from this. I'll just have to recompress it myself though, but I've been meaning to get more aquainted with my C coding knowledge (Since I have 2 classes with it next semester) So I may give it a shot.
Starfish
Novice

Post by Starfish »

Just found a game that's very customisable hack and slash like DM but is more akin to a fps in alot of ways. Daggerfall. The nice thing is you can control tons of the stats, and you can edit not only the way your character looks but the enemies armor items, just like with RTC using fan made tools. Nice stuff.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ahh, Daggerfall, the second Elder Scrolls game. I'd never heard of the Elder Scrolls series till we got Morrowind, which in my opinion is an utterly fantastic game. I have Oblivion (the fourth game in the series) too, but overall I think I prefer Morrowind. I have no idea what Arena and Daggerfall are like, but I understand that Daggerfall was larger than Morrowind (which is saying something because Morrowind is bloody huge), and its dungeons (internal zones) were randomly generated or something.