Levelling up at end of game

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
awakeningcry
Neophyte

Levelling up at end of game

Post by awakeningcry »

Since Lord Chaos can't be killed with weapons, can you still level up your fighter and ninja skills by hacking away at him?
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

If i remember you don't have to hit a target to level those up in the orginal dm?
awakeningcry
Neophyte

Post by awakeningcry »

True, but wasnt your training more effective if you were actually fighting a monster?
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

Hmm I can't recall on that, I played dm2 alot more than 1.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

As far as I know, yes, you do get more exp if you're actually facing a monster when you swing a wep. Depth within the dungeon affects it as well - the deeper you are, the more exp you get. So you don't need to specifically attack Chaos - you could take swings at Demons or Fire Elementals and get exp too. And the Dragon. But of course, they all have limited hp. The Fire Elementals do repop, but of course you wouldn't be able to actually hit them with a normal sword. Anyone know of that affects the exp gain or does the game not take into account the fact that you've actually got no chance of hitting a monster when you take a swing at it?
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I believe you also get more experience if
a monster has recently attacked you.
This means that the Dungeon-Master-Two-Step
is not the most efficient way to get experience.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

As far as I know, Paul is right - it doesn't matter at all if you attack a monster or thin air, you do get experience for each attack (or each thrown item or each spell cast). However, if a monster recently (read: in the last 2 seconds or so) attacked you, you will get more experience.

So yes, levelling up at Lord Chaos is possible. It's just more effective if you take a hit from him first. :D
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Could you take the back stairs behind the gate with the stone golem, go down to the bottom level (same as dragon), and build your experience there?

It seems it's the lowest possible level and place, with no creatures to irritate you.
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The lack of creature will half your experience gain, i think the dragon level and chaos level have the same depth modifier (there are only six 'levels' if i recall correctly...
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

If you work on your fire shield, will you gain more experience (up your levels faster) if you do the practicing on the lower levels?

Hmmm. I wonder where the 'cut off' might be for the 6th level of experience?
What floor, do you suppose?
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You don't have to suppose, just look at the dungeon.dat through CSBuild and see the associated level depths

Yes, the fireshield will gain you more experience on the lower levels