DM on SNES better interface?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

DM on SNES better interface?

Post by Zed5Duke »

I like this interface, its different, team tactic position are inside arrow box, and its probably better because i think you can change them very fast that way.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: DM on SNES better interface?

Post by Gambit37 »

I played it but I don't recall whether the position of the party icons made much difference. It's hard enough to play anyway, because you're using a joypad and DM type games were really designed for use with a mouse.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

The arrowbox is nice. I played the SNES version for a short time(up to 2nd level to see the trolins in action)

the way you interact is really lame.(due to joypad) Fights are not especially exiting to say the least.
But nevertheless it is playable and I must say after some time of accustomisation I kind of liked the SNES version.
All in all the screen looks more tidied up, and it is a good idea to put the party in the arrow keys visually -and for the
joypad users-mechanically.
I do not think that beside the visual benefit it will be of much use in a pc version or the like.
Normally you move with the keyboard and not the mouse (clicking on arrow keys on screen too slow)

Probably the hero position icons are too near the arrow keys, so it could possibly lead to some confusion.
The way the SNES version did it, makes positioning clearer and more concise imo than the pc version.
Would it be needed? who knows... ;)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I've never played SNES version, but looking at the screenshot, I don't like this layout - I'd prefer all the arrow keys as close to each other as possible in one box (as in DM), and not divided (i.e. too far) by the icons. Moreover, as I usually play with one character only, I rarely use the icon part - only when I need to move my character to the other side to hit a creature with a fireball. :)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I never use the arrow keys on screen to move, so I prefer the party icons at the top of the screen close ot the spells and weapons and party leader/inventory. To each their own!

I think the only issue with the arrow layout is that if you are stepping backwards by the screen you have further to go. everything else seems about the same positioning...
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

I played SNES version too and it was quite useable after some time of accustomisation. I guess they had to move the party position icons down because the SNES resolution for default graphic mod is only 256 × 224. The above part with 2 hands icons couldn't fit.
If i could change completely the interface in RTC, i would remove the arrow keys which are not useful for most of us and probably enhance the spell box or attack icons.
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I still use the onscreen arrows in RTC for movement when I'm not in combat, it's much quicker than using the keyboard as there's no buffer on the mouse. Indeed, playtesting of a very tightly timed puzzle in Maze of Zagor shows it's easy to solve with the on screen arrows, but impossible when you use the keyboard.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Exactly. Some puzzles cannot be done with keyboard.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, I had no idea about this until one of Zed's puzzles showed the speed difference. Still use the keyboard for all movement though unless necessary
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

That is interesting. I asked myself often why the arrow keys, I use only the keyboard for movement.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

What, the keyboard is slower? :shock: Is this unique to RTC? I never noticed this and only use the keyboard for movement.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I think the keyboard responsiveness in RTC has been changed several times due to use request. If you go back through the RTC archive, you'll probably find the evidence. All I know is that you can move much more quickly if you use the on screen arrows and that's what I prefer.

Anyway, going off topic... ;-)
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Does the SNES version work well for single-member excursions?
"Wuuf's big brother"