Questions about DSB formulas

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
zoom
Grand Master

Questions about DSB formulas

Post by zoom »

OhVen - Also Interesting - I always assumed that power level was the main factor for duration.
Does skills influence duration when you throw a ven potion?
this would have impact on the choosing of the leader. (back row mage or weak caster_fighter)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: Features for DSB

Post by Sophia »

zoom wrote:Does skills influence duration when you throw a ven potion?
this would have impact on the choosing of the leader. (back row mage or weak caster_fighter)
No, for the potion, it's based solely on power level. For the curious, the way it connects to spell power + skill is as follows: A Journeyman wizard will create Lo-power poison clouds of equivalent power to a Lo Ven bomb. To create Mon-power poison clouds of equivalent power to a Mon Ven bomb requires a Lo Master, and everything else falls within that range. An Archmaster's Lo Oh Ven is almost as powerful as an Ee Ven bomb!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Sophia, thanks for the answer, really fast and interesting.
well, still. err, what do you mean with power/ powerful?
Damage output, Duration or both? I am quite perplexed right now. :/

What If I do not find and then throw a ven bomb, but create one from scratch. Would that have an effect on the ven bombs created, If the champion had , like archmaster skills? I get the impression that skills would not have any influence on the creation of ven bombs´ duration or Damage whatsoever. A lo ven bomb still is a lo ven bomb no matter what. It is not bad,really - just thinking out loud..
also very cool that ya ir does protect a little from fire. ;) !!
I also would have liked to swap the champion positions on the upper screen, like lunever stated. Fighters first , then mages .
If you screw that up in the beginning that was that then. have to restart (don´t know if it is already improved on, just wanted to say I am not against doing something in that direction)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

zoom wrote:well, still. err, what do you mean with power/ powerful?
Damage output, Duration or both? I am quite perplexed right now. :/
Both. A big poison cloud has a greater damage output than a small poison cloud, and, of course, it lasts longer because clouds shrink over time until they have 0 damage output, at which time they disappear.
zoom wrote:What If I do not find and then throw a ven bomb, but create one from scratch. Would that have an effect on the ven bombs created, If the champion had , like archmaster skills? I get the impression that skills would not have any influence on the creation of ven bombs´ duration or Damage whatsoever.
Skill doesn't matter, only power level. Since Ful bombs can't be created at all and nobody actually creates Ven bombs, I don't think that the creation of bombs was really a concern of the DM designers.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Do bombs have the 1 - 255 power attached to them that potions do?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Does DSB have the original regeneration cycles for mana and stamina?
I can't tell sometimes which memories are vanilla DM1 and which ones are RTC - but I think I remember that in both (seen more clearly while sleeping) mana went up a little quickly, while stamina went down a little, then mana would rise more slowly, while stamina went up quickly and so on. A very high wisdom with a low vitality could drain a character heavily (in Nexus even worse).
In DSB during sleep I don't see this - mana and stamina go up evenly, even with high wis and low vit.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

beowuuf wrote:Do bombs have the 1 - 255 power attached to them that potions do?
Yes, but it's derived when the bomb explodes, by multiplying the rune power * 30 and adding a random number between 8 and 40. So a Mon bomb ends up with 188-230 power.
Lunever wrote:Does DSB have the original regeneration cycles for mana and stamina?
More or less, yes. There used to be some substantial problems with it, but through a lot of analysis and debugging by me and other helpful people on this forum I think it is almost completely accurate by now. I hope so, anyway. ;)

In both DM and DSB, a "magic number" is derived that the sum of your wisdom, priest level, and wizard level must be greater than in order to regenerate some mana. DM uses a somewhat complex (but probably very fast to execute on the ST CPU) formula based on the game clock, but it creates a consistent and predictable sequence of numbers. DSB uses a vastly simpler formula-- mostly because I still don't really understand the DM formula, I just ran it a bunch of times to get its sequence of values-- that generates the same sequence, but a few of the values are not in the same order as DM, in order to keep the DSB formula simple. This causes regeneration to look different over short periods of time (one or two regeneration cycles) but over the course of a whole level/game/whatever, the regeneration should be the same.

When you're sleeping, your stamina and mana bars do (or at least should do, they certainly seem to do it to me anyway) the same stopping and starting motion, and have the same "feel" in both DM and DSB. High wisdom will mask the stopping and starting because you're always hitting the "magic number" and always regenerating, giving a more steady feel.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

A big poison cloud has a greater damage output than a small poison cloud, and, of course, it lasts longer because clouds shrink over time until they have 0 damage output, at which time they disappear.
ok, so basically a higher caster level results in more punch for a spell power level
An Archmaster's Lo Oh Ven is almost as powerful as an Ee Ven bomb!
Is it still capped at 255? if So being archmaster and casting mon oh ven would not be that rewarding.
you could get "more xp", but I think the best ratio of mana put into spell and xp - gain was around um oh ven level.

What I wanted to say is:
it would- if a limit in spellpower exists (?) - be really dumb to cast as a archmaster wizard mon oh vens. It would render the mon rune pointless in a way. I admit, this will be rarely the case because getting to archmaster is rather pointless in itself you can argue.