DSB source release and sound replacement

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
siggboy
Novice

DSB source release and sound replacement

Post by siggboy »

Hi,

(This mainly goes to Amber/Sophia but I didn't want to PM in case others are interested, too.)

I've just tried DSB and it looks awesome; good on you Amber for that nice effort! So true to the original with improvements in just the right areas (as far as I can tell).

I've got a couple of questions:

1. Any chance that the source code will be made available? On GitHub, maybe? I've read in another thread (that I did not want to necro) that you're a bit wary because of the code quality, but too be honest I'm very curious and would love to have a look at it. It's also extremely easy and pleasant to collaborate on GitHub, so who knows what good might spring from just dumping the code history there.
It would also be nice to have a native Linux port of the game.

2. How hard would it be to replace the sounds with the Amiga sounds? I find the sounds from the PC version terribly muffled and unappealing. Just having finished DM on the Amiga emulator it is quite obvious that the Amiga sounds are quite a bit better...

3. How far has the DM and CSB conversion progressed? I did not find any definite information either here or on the DSB wiki. Maybe somebody should create a page there.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: DSB source release and sound replacement

Post by Sophia »

siggboy wrote:I've just tried DSB and it looks awesome
Thank you. :D
siggboy wrote:Any chance that the source code will be made available?
I'm not sure about any sort of fancy RCS, and I'm also not sure if it'd be much use it'd be considering I'm not sure if DSB will even build for people other than me. Beyond simple code ugliness, I've made no effort to ensure that it will compile in any development environment that doesn't exactly match mine.

In all honesty, I have no active desire to conceal anything; the lack of a source code release so far is mostly due to laziness on my part, both in getting my code "presentable" and in making sure that someone else can actually compile it. :)
siggboy wrote:How hard would it be to replace the sounds with the Amiga sounds?
It wouldn't be that terribly hard assuming I had access to the Amiga sounds in .wav format. I was unaware they were all that different, actually.
siggboy wrote:How far has the DM and CSB conversion progressed? I did not find any definite information either here or on the DSB wiki. Maybe somebody should create a page there.
I think Joramun has come really far on them. DM, in particular, got a lot of testing and seems like it's very accurate by now. A while back Qwerty did a different port (I think using an earlier version of Joramun's conversion as a basis, but I'm not sure) of DM, basing it on the Japanese Super Famicom (SNES) DM rather than the ST/Amiga/PC one, too.
siggboy
Novice

Post by siggboy »

siggboy wrote:Any chance that the source code will be made available?
I'm not sure about any sort of fancy RCS, and I'm also not sure if it'd be much use it'd be considering I'm not sure if DSB will even build for people other than me. Beyond simple code ugliness, I've made no effort to ensure that it will compile in any development environment that doesn't exactly match mine.

In all honesty, I have no active desire to conceal anything; the lack of a source code release so far is mostly due to laziness on my part, both in getting my code "presentable" and in making sure that someone else can actually compile it. :)
Well, you're not making any promises, such as portability or a working build system, by releasing the source code. But I understand that it always reflects badly on the developer if nasty code is released, even if "bad quality" is admitted beforehand.

I assume you are using some sort of RCS? Maybe you could send me the repository or give me read-only access if that is possible at all. Then I could try my luck with finding a way to build the game, and maybe convert it into a Git repo. Obviously I would not release it anywhere.

After all, I'm mainly curious to have a look at the code, because frankly the converted-from-ASM codebase of CSBWin is just scary, and not at all useful if one wants to learn something (which is not to say that I'm not deeply impressed by the effort behind it). So even if your code won't build I would at least have a chance to take a peek at what you've done.

But if you decide not to release it at all, to anybody, at this point, that's fine. You can think about it and get back to me via PM if you decide otherwise.
siggboy wrote:How hard would it be to replace the sounds with the Amiga sounds?
It wouldn't be that terribly hard assuming I had access to the Amiga sounds in .wav format. I was unaware they were all that different, actually.
I will look into extracting them and converting to WAV. That should not be too hard. IIRC all the sounds are in one big file right next to the other, so if there is no appropriate tool to extract them directly, then with some patience and a wave editor it should be possible anyway.

Where are the download links for the WIP version of the DM dungeon?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

siggboy wrote:I assume you are using some sort of RCS?
No, I'm not. It's just source code files that I back up periodically. Being the sole developer I've never felt the need for anything more... :)
siggboy wrote:Where are the download links for the WIP version of the DM dungeon?
I think the current versions are here: http://www.ojnk.net/dm/dsb/jorfiles/
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Those are definetely NOT the last versions ! I edited both dungeons with ESB to make the last ones...

Who can I send them to upload them to ?
What Is Your Quest ?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Sorry, email them to me and I'll upload the new ones. :)
EDIT: Somehow I missed an email you sent me in September with some uploads. I've uploaded those now.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

:mrgreen:
What Is Your Quest ?