Speed Runs

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I have found Stamm reincarnated to be best. He has a great chopper. And ends up with more HP later. I think I only cast one offensive spell all game: I got the mana from warcrying screamers on level 4!

Remember to use the DM rules set or the reincarnations will have their stats halved.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Especially in RTC, you can just hold the teowand from level four to get 6 mana too
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I am going to see what times I can manage in RTC. This will also allow me to compare the engines in different scenarios.

The ability to save though makes record attempts far, far easier.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Straight away it is obvious that fights take longer, esp screamers who die quickly with thrown objects in CSBWin. Weapons strike differently, the monster groups split etc etc

RTC is an awesome game, but is not as faithful to the original with the mechanics.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Beholders are much more powerful, I think (compbined with the quicker striking) - which is why Froud died whereas I managed to take a single hit from the filius beholder and stay standing. Ah well, it's a good engine : )
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

Getting further before getting incinerated ! Got to level 8. Took one step in and hit by a walloping fireball. Just about survived it but in my panic took a step back into a pit. Doh ! Still, saved up to here so have another go tomorrow. My eyes hurt.

Should be on course for something less than 2 hours. Although I know the saving is blasphemy ! And of course LOTS can go wrong yet !
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

So Guys, What times are we talking here ? I reckon even Masters like yourselves have got to be talking an hour.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

A couple of years ago I managed 55mins with RTC, as registered in the end game sequence.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Dunno, never normally time myself - the last time I timed myself was years and years and years ago, and it was for a 'full' game of grab every secret, don't leave monsters behind if it's practicable, etc - that took about four hours. Yeah, sub hour and a half - two hours not stretching it I would imagine
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

4 hours for "everything" ? No way !?!?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, about that I seem to rememebr four - four and a half hours
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Wow! Four hours? Last game i made of a ressurected guy doing everything in the dungeon and moving all the items in the game to the dragon level took about 8 hours no saving or loading. Still got the recording :wink:. 40 minutes is my fastest time of winning the game in one go no saving or loading.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, by everything I just mean opening every secret, etc and relaistically killing monsters around - I beleive the extra four hours comes form moving everything down to the dragon level!

The current records are by CSBwin clock ticks, right? So someone sleeping, while taking no time in real terms, is llosing alot of time in game terms, yes?
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

OK, so let me ask you this : what about the "extra ticks" option. Doesn't it make you lose more time ? Should it be disabled on fast computers ?
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

These fast times are very impressive. But don't you secretly yearn for the days when we were all lost in the dungeon for weeks or err.. months on end.

The dread of what might be round the next corner. The fascinated horror of seeing a unknown monster. The joy of working out a new spell or solving a riddle you had doubted could be done. The general sense of not knowing what the hell was going on !

Happy days. (Except for the nightmares and permanent psychological damage)

BTW Just returned to the fireball corridor place on level 9. Found some rat drumsticks there. He must have wandered in and committed suicide !

LOL @ the stupid rat !
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i do agree (maybe harshly) : those speed competitions are quite fun but where's satisfaction when you've finished DM and CSB for 1000 times, in 2 hours or 2 months or 2 minutes ?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

The fun is the competition.

"But don't you secretly yearn for the days when we were all lost in the dungeon for weeks or err.. months on end."

Yep, thats Conflux!
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

Yes, I must try Conflux. Think I tried once and couldn't load it.

Time to try again
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

Ok 90 minutes into Conflux2 and sure enough Im blundering round lost, dazed and confused. Really good game though. It seems the various monsters go down pretty quicky, though Im sure this will change as time goes on.

Cant see anyone finishung this in 11 minutes !
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The minimal moves for some of the quests are scary, if I rememebr correcctly...which I may not...
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

The monsters go down quickly? There are two possibilities:

a) I am a really bad player.
b) You are not playing Conflux.

But the other sensations you experienced all sound genuine. And "finish" is a very relative term for this dungeon... Anyway, I doubt I could make it to an ending in 11 hours, but I am no speed player anyway.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Rats get wiped out by a single blow at the very start, if you get the chance, and screamers tend to die quickly to thrown weapons - you know, if you aren't cornered by them and attacked mercilessly from all sides by hordes of them
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

No, that's true, until the emerald level, most of the monsters have few hitpoints, except bosses.
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

Thats right, I was very surprised how quickly the rats died and the screamers were no great problem. Also the snatchers seem to need to go back to snatching school. 90% of them couldnt pick a pocket if their lives depended on it.

However despite the monsters being relatively easy to kill up to this stage they are also very violent themselves. My teams levels have gone up quite quickly and yet are being killed in a single hit frequently. despite having health levels around 140-180 mark.

Early days however, Im sure Ive hardly scratched it yet.
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

Ok, Ive come to an impasse in conflux ! Mis-saved and got stuck half way down a fireball coridor. (plasma place) need to get back and pick up the plasma.
( Yes, I know it said don't drop it ) But.... Well I dropped it.

I need a fire shield spell. Any help appreciated or I will have to start again from scratch.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

A spell can save your life then, but not the fireshield one...

If you don't manage it, there's a savegame.back to restore your previous savegame. It would be good practice to use the 4 savegameslots...
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

Zokathra spell right ? Wow im almost impressed with myself ! Off and running again. Thx Zyx and Beo
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Froud wrote:Also the snatchers seem to need to go back to snatching school.
No more contempt! They're taking courses right now... I predict they'll earn your respect in the next version.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

%^&*%"££ing gigglers! And I have a sneaking suspicion they will get worse than I've seen too...