Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

It's been a while since I played Conflux, but here goes:
- I always understood that dragon as some kind of guardian to the Tower of Mampang. No special loot there.
- Tower of the Pit: No idea, sorry.
- Moria: I was told that there is a second or even third exit, but the pit is the only one I ever found.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

I found a couple of winged key locks, as soon as in the cellar, for what I remember.
What Is Your Quest ?
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Winged keys are 'special' keys. By that I mean they are used only on some particular locks with the key generally close to the lock. That means if you don't stupidly waste them you can bypass some puzzles by using an earlier key on a later lock. The best use of winged keys I can think of is short-circuiting a guild ending and bypassing about 4-5 levels worth of material with a few well-placed winged keys. See also, square key, key of b, onyx key, ra key.

The Moria has several exits, the most notable being the backdoor to the Tower of Mampang. Very useful if you want to do all the endings with only one character in the party.
Inanity
Craftsman

RE: Conflux

Post by Inanity »

Jesus H. Christ
snichele
Apprentice

Post by snichele »

Wow !
Well...
- Winged key : neither found any lock for it ?? (in the CELLAR ???)
- Tower of mampang : I opened the door of the tower of loop, explored tower of doors and climbed tower of pits. What's next ????? Did I missed a secrets ?
- "bypassing about 4-5 levels worth of material with a few well-placed winged keys." Hum... well I have been playing conflux for about 100+ hours and don't even DREAM about what you are saying ! Therefore, I found several SAR key and one RA key (on the blue path, I didn't spoiled it, so as for the sar key). So much more secrets to discover ??? This game is really incredible !
- How can I open that damn throben doors ? Oracle talks about a smith, but didn't found anything on the mines... btw, I have a Vecna's clone running in the crypt. Quite annoying. Is there a way to get rid of him ?

PS : The fiery cerberus is so CUTE !!!!!!!!!! :D Is it usefull ?
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Morpanthrax has a lot of HP :cry: !!

I can't find any sar keys or ra keys. And I was mistaken about the winged-key lock. There is an IR lock, but I think it can be opened by a common key.

Is there any interest in the "trial of bravoury" ?
What Is Your Quest ?
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

There are two winged locks in the cellar, but only one accepts a key, and it should not get one because you can access both sides of that door anyways, and you don't need the shortcut.

For the tower of Mampang, unless and until you have found the archmage, you have not seen everything. It's just that, erm, the princess you're looking for is in a different castle... :)

As for bypassing with winged keys, I said it's in a guild ending. If you're playing with the 4 guides you will never see that part anyways. You need one specific guild leader (they all have a special ending but some are longer (and more special) than others.

Throben door. Look for a hint in the forge. It's a bit of a pointless puzzle. Too bad because the fight to get there is probably the best one in the whole game. As for the Vecna clone, the best way to get rid of it is to destroy it. :roll:

I've never found the fiery cerberus. Nor have I ever found a use to the regular ones.

Joramund, don't try to kill the god, darnit! You can get rid of it without killing it.

Also, there is a point to the trial of bravery. Three points, in fact. :P
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I've never found the fiery cerberus. Nor have I ever found a use to the regular ones.
Yes, that is pretty hard. I actually tried cheating...
snichele
Apprentice

Post by snichele »

1, Tower of mampang : Well... where can I access the archmage then ? Moria ???
2, Throben doors : well, I opened them... but it's of no use since I'm playing with the 4 guilds leaders !
3, Fiery cerberus : Well in fact I have found one when I killed the keeper of the powergem... I used the "trick" to kill him (didn't tried with weapons (too high armor)) and when I finally found his 'corpse', I found the powergem AND a cerberus. Then I concluded the cerberus was part of the loot ? If it's not the case, then HOW am I supposed to find one ? Ian, you talked about cheating ? (PM me to develop lpease ! ;) ) Parallax, you talked about 'regular' ones ??? Please, shed some light on that topic !! :)
4, Trial of bravoury : where is it ???
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

1. From Morpanthrax, do not rush up the tower of loops. Stop and think.

2. I don't understand what you mean, an ending is an ending. Get your points and move on to the next one, no?

3. That's NOT the fiery cerberus! It's just a regular, inert, cerberus. I have several of those already. All I know of the fiery cerberus is that it's hard to find and you're better off not looking for it. I thought of taking a regular cerberus to the energizing fountain but never did it, because if that does the trick I don't think I want one. I'd be too disappointed. :)

4. Trial of bravery is in a corner of the clockwork knight labyrinth (down from Draco's lair.)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I don't know if the way to find the fiery cerberus changed between Conflux 2 and 3, but I played 2 and when I found it, it was very pleasant and clever surpise.
Inanity
Craftsman

Post by Inanity »

Parallax wrote:
snichele wrote:2, Throben doors : well, I opened them... but it's of no use since I'm playing with the 4 guilds leaders !
2. I don't understand what you mean, an ending is an ending. Get your points and move on to the next one, no?
I think when he said he was playing with the 4 guild leaders he meant the 4 guides?
Parallax wrote: 4. Trial of bravery is in a corner of the clockwork knight labyrinth (down from Draco's lair.)
I've been there, and I couldn't figure out what I was expected to do and ended up making my way back upstairs (Gando kept insisting we had more important places to be)
snichele
Apprentice

Post by snichele »

Inanity, yes, that's what I was thinking ! :D
The throbben doors deceived me because I was hoping for some high loot... not only some points ! ;)
Therefore, This is a way to reach guild endings.

Nevertheless, I restarted a game with only 3 members - I keep room for guild leader !

I have a little question : I don't remember where I found voidness edge with my previous party. I was remmebering it was on the cellar, in a vi altar before the two stairs that lead to the fire guardians. But here, I found none.
Can anyone PM where it is located / revealed (if a trigger is needed) ?
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

If I recall properly, and I may not, the voidness edge is a reward for killing a"unique" monster in the sewers, and then praying for a miracle.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

A rather easy battle, as it happens.
What Is Your Quest ?
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

I have a question about the giggler game room with the pits. I can't get out unless I throw the right key but I don't have any idea what key it is or where to throw it. I have it saved right there so I could use the hint oracle but trying to get a hint caused an error. I threw all items I had where the grey lord was standing and still couldn't get out. Am I throwing stuff at the right place? Could someone tell me what the key is?
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

You are throwing your items at the right person. You are not throwing the correct item. Look for a hint on the walls.
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

1. Can that demon that punches the ground be killed? I've taken away so much health from it and it still stands.
2. I also can't figure out how to save the besieged town. I found two doors that the enemies are behind but I can't get either door open.
3. I had to give up two Funereal rings to get to the counsel. Is there any way to get those rings back?
4. Where can I find the Fur Trader?
5. Can the brown-cloaked wizard (Solune?) be killed?
Last edited by Christopher on Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inanity
Craftsman

Post by Inanity »

1. Demon that punches the ground? I don't think I've seen this. Where did you find it?
2. Yes, I'm not sure what the trigger is, but the doors always opened for me if I wandered around for long enough in that vicinity. Break all the doors, that mightbe a trigger, not sure. But you better be ready when they do open!
3. Yes, it's a matter of finding a way back to the place where you dropped them off.
4. There is only one entrance to the fur trader, and it's found somewhere in the mines. You need to click a symbol on a wall.
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

1. The Demon is in Moria. It's on the same level as the blue non-material Loch Ness monster looking thing. There are also several orcs(?). I've been doing good damage to the monster with my Funereal axe but it hasn't died. In addition to punching the ground (instant kill for a character with 400+ life) he causes a chain-reaction of explosions if you are not one square in front of it. It's red and has four gray horns on its back.

3. I ended up reloading an earlier save and now have my rings. I had lost them at the no winds/ no rings area.
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

1. That's the Balrog. I'm not sure if you can kill it, but I am pretty certain fighting it is semi-suicidal. There has to be a better way to take him down. Way down. That blue demon thing is a sort of water elemental, I think. Another "unique" monster.

2. The trigger for those doors is to receive the mission of stopping the invasion, I believe. Why don't you try and find some survivors?

4. Explore the mines.

5. He can be killed, yes. But not through brute force. Or at least it would take more than 45 minutes hitting him in the back with the funereal axe, because I tried that. Here too, there is a better way. I think the Vexirk oracle has a cryptic hint on that.
Inanity
Craftsman

Post by Inanity »

1. Oh, I didn't know this was what you were talking about. The Balrog can't be killed by normal means, as far as I know. By the way, this is where you get the whip.
Christopher wrote: 3. I ended up reloading an earlier save and now have my rings. I had lost them at the no winds/ no rings area.
Yeah, I know that's where you lost them. You didn't have to re-load...
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

I supposedly saved the besieged town but nothing happened. I'm guessing you can't kill any of the townsfolk. I had killed the one in front of the exit awhile back. Standing inbetween the two doors two spaces away and sleeping for awhile seemed to trigger them opening.

I found the fur trader finally. I usually didn't read the text on the walls because it's all chicken scratch. But I read one and it said Fur Trader

new questions
1. Where can I find a fireball scroll?
2. Where can I find a Zo spell scroll (my zo spells only make gong sounds and don't open doors like I want, especially for the mildew area)?
3. Where can I find an entrance to the Tower of Mampang?
4. Can anyone give me a definate answer as to which keys I need to open the Barracks room? I've used one key already, I believe it was an iron key.
5. Where can I find the proper weapon to kill Vecna? I found the name of the weapon on a scroll but I don't remember it. When I kill him by other means and escape the lightning, everything I have becomes cursed.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

You can kill Vecna, but whatever the weapon it will be a hard time, because she's not supposed to be killed (lots of HP + lots of resistance to everything)
1. I don't remember. The temple provides at least one attack spell.
2. The Zo spell is not the magical opening spell. It is the CURSE spell. So if all your equipment is cursed, blame only yourself.
3. It's down down down (well, at least for the entrance I know)
4. I don't know... I never opened that one.
5. The curse is easily removed if you know a blessing place.
What Is Your Quest ?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

1. In the Wizard's guild.
2. Near the Daedalus of Infinity-area.
3. Yes, far down... Ecce Draco.
4. No idea.
5. See Joramund's answer.
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

4. Isn't it two iron?
5. After you kill Vecna, pick up all the loot you can, then step forward onto Vecna's spot. You'll be teleported to the small room with the altar of nightmare and will not suffer the curse if you do not step on the tile at the entrance of Vecna's tunnel ever again. Of course it's not really a smart idea to kill Vecna in the first place. I only do it because it's the only way to avoid getting all your stuff cursed after meeting Vecna. Maybe a teleport scroll would work too..?
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

4. No, two iron don't work.
What Is Your Quest ?
snichele
Apprentice

Post by snichele »

For the Barracks, you need an iron key and a SQUARE key (and if you know where to find one, post here because I am really interested !)

On another topic, it's funny, but hey, everyone seems to have killed Vecna here. Everyone but me. I tried, god I tried ! I used all the 'confuse' of my staves and bashed it with maces of order. Many HP, yes... too many. After a while, she definetly kicked the ass of my = Masters fighters...
So if anyone here could explain me HOW to kill it... a nice "how to" would be fine :)

On another topic (again), how do you trigger the axe apparition in the forge ? I did it a long time ago but I am unable to reproduce.

Thanks ! ;)
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

I didn't kill Vecna, but my first idea would be to give her hell from a distance using a lot of attack spells. Admittedly, she's immune to poison (well that's the impression most undead gave me) so you should fireball or lightning her.

But that's unfair, the good solution would be to just go see her, and then retreat and get a blessing !
What Is Your Quest ?
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

You can't use attack spells even up close. There's an invisible teleporter there so no use using spells or thrown objects. I don't remember how I killed Vecna but I believe it was with winds and a Funereal ring or dagger. Also have one free hand for Vi Gor potions. Once you are infront of Vecna, resist the urge to turn around, that will trigger more poison clouds. It's an incredibly tough battle for only one champion. I wish I knew where that area of blessing was at.
Undead aren't immune to Funereal poison.