Only one RPG game beats DM from back in the day

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
violetriga
Neophyte

Only one RPG game beats DM from back in the day

Post by violetriga »

Only one RPG game beats DM from back in the day, and it's represented in my avatar (anyone guess?). No, it wasn't as revolutionary and was not as popular, but for me it's simply the best fantasy game of the era.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I edited this but hotlinks still don't work -- can you post a link to the page instead?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi VioletRiga.

The URL of your avatar gives it away -- it's Phantasie-III -- I've never heard of it but it looks interesting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I have heard a lot of that game, but never played it myself. A friend of mine did, however, and he has very fond memories of it.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

erm... sorry for the links !
http://www.mobygames.com/game/atari-st/ ... creenshots
of course i found the name the same way you did Gambit :)
violetriga
Neophyte

Post by violetriga »

I knew people would cheat if I didn't obfuscate the image name, but I'm surprised by people not knowing the game that well. Actually, I don't think I've met many people that know the game, so it's not that much of a surprise.

Phantasie III is a little Ultima-y, but far superior for me. Perhaps it's simply because it's the one that captured my imagination many years ago, but the plot, the gameplay and everything about the game just oozes class. It's available on STeem - give it a go!
Walter Mitty
Novice

Post by Walter Mitty »

I remember reading about Phantasie III in Dragon Magazine when it came out. I think the whole series was available on Apple II.
rob3034
Craftsman

Post by rob3034 »

anyone know here i can download this game (phantasie 3?) for the ST ie as a disk image? :wink:
rob3034
Craftsman

Post by rob3034 »

what platform was the game under? ST or C64, or pc?
violetriga
Neophyte

Post by violetriga »

rob3034 wrote:what platform was the game under? ST or C64, or pc?
Yes.
(all three)

The best version to my mind is on the ST
rob3034
Craftsman

Post by rob3034 »

yeah i thought it would be!! :D , ST was the best machine for most games of the time. any ideas where i could get it from vio?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

i already said the underdogs where you asked this same question in another thread

also, look for st disk images - there should be sites around surely?
rob3034
Craftsman

Post by rob3034 »

yeah, sorry i posted it in the wrong thread :oops:
mikko
Craftsman

Post by mikko »

Hey Phantasie III was cool.. I came, I saw and I won! :twisted: And of course the Amiga version was the best.. :wink:
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

The Amiga version of every game was always the best.. stereo sound, 4096 colours on screen at once.. though there was only one game I ever saw released in ham mode :P

Oh.. and saying any game is better than DM in it's own era.. is SACRALIGE!! off with his head... both of them.!!

:shock:

I can do that right?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah!!!!!!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, you own the fourm, and more importantly have the moral high ground
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

You mean, Sacrilege? But I agree. Let me get the vorax. . . .
TAJERTAM
Neophyte

Post by TAJERTAM »

The only game that i can think of that came near Dungeon Master back when i was a lad was Bloodwych. Both these games kept me engrossed for months on my Atar Ste, dungeon master had better graphics and as it was like the first ever it was amazing.(god i feel old now cos i played em twnety years ago, och well forty aint to old) ;)

http://www.classicgaming.com/bloodwych/
Nightwolf
Neophyte

Post by Nightwolf »

Bloodwych was so good, because two player mode. I dont know how many ours playing with my old good pal... :)
"Que no está muerto lo que puede yacer eternamente, mas con los evos extraños, aún la muerte puede morir"
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I don't think anything was better than DM personally.. but I think EOB2 was pretty good.. I think the stronger story element, greater variation in graphics, and the ability to lose and gain comrads was cool.. and the curse actually meant something ;)

But for me the only thing that ruined my experiences there was the feel of the action.. I didn't feel as skilled doing a spell because you just select it from a list.. and I didn't gain levels like I got in DM.. I think the DM system was the best thing going for it.. it really felt like growth of character..
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

the amiga got me going on dungeon master in 89, i loved it so much, it blew away my apple computer at the time. i think out of all the things in dungeon master that i found the spell casting and level gaining the best.
i spent a day finding all the spells while killing screamers, and that was not my kids either :shock: , as they had thier own screaming at the time, it was then while bbsing that i chose the name chaos as my alias and has stayed ever since. there is another game i found cool but never finished it, Abandoned Places. i love rpgs
keep your gor coin handy
ParuNexus
Adept

Post by ParuNexus »

yeah i am a big phantasie fan, amiga had the best ports for it
but i tinhk only the atari had all 3 games., the towns i liked very simple interface, equipment, learning, banking etc were all very simple. one thing barrowed from DM that was cool that i hope is seen in more games ins body parts hurt or lost. ok DM you didn't lose body parts. Each Phantasie game may start out pretty simple and what looks like small game but it keeps on going and going. it's not all that Ultimaish i mean it has elements but even the towns in ultima 1 was slightly more advanced.
you atleast had to move around to the right place, could steel and talk to others. Also i don't recall Phantasie involving much of the npc's like Ultima.
But as said earlier that simple town left mroe world and secrets to explore.

no it's not better to me either but is one of my "2ndary favorites"
things like Dungeon Master, Ultima and say Legacy of Kain are among my "1st main" favorites, then things like EoB, phantasie, Darklands(Germanic dark ages) would be like 2nd favorite.

as for getting it, i can find a copy of any version i think, i have a good account on underground-gamer which deals with "retro" games\systems and what not. honestly part of UG is a "favorite games\sysmtes" wiki and i've added some of those entry's or also added my name to the list.
somemale
Novice

Post by somemale »

Is dungeon master considered an RPG??
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Certainly based on RPG concepts and mechanics

You are playing the role of Theron (or can pretend you are the champions)